*DON'T BUY WERNER LADDERS!*

GREENVILLE, Pa. (AP) - A ladder company is moving part of its operations to Mexico as part of its plans to close a Mercer County plant.

Werner Co. said Tuesday it will house a ladder parts plant in Juarez, Mexico. An undetermined number of jobs at the company's Sugar Grove Township ladder plant will be moved to the Mexican operation, the company said.

The Juarez factory will begin operating later this year and employ 50. The company is shuttering the local operation and cutting nearly 500 jobs.

The move is part of Werner's strategy to lower labor and manufacturing costs, said John Guyton, Werner's director of human resources.

Workers criticized the move. "They're making a profit and they want to make more of a profit," said Phil DeMatteis, a former president of United Steelworkers Local 3713 and a current union member.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

yawn..........................................

Good. Now maybe the price of those ladders will come down to something reasonable.

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Yea. That's the answer.

Of course now if the rest of the world were to decide not to buy anything from the US and we decided not to buy anything from anyone else. Where would we be? For one, a lot of us would be cold and working not driving.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go around your house. Toss everything that is made outside of the US, including parts and pieces you may have to actually remove from the house itself. Now go to that US made (haha) car that your union coerced you into buying, and remove all the parts not made in the US.

I bet you will feel better once you truly practice what you preach against. And we won't report you to your "Made In America" buddies for having bought all this contraband in the first place.

And don't forget NOT to buy any produce or meat or foods not entirely from the US. That includes meals prepared at restaurants.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Crap snipped

Does this include the meals prepared by illegal aliens?

Reply to
HeatMan

Sure! After all with out them you would be paying more if you could even find someone to do the work. You should also include legal aliens as well, and I guess you could include all the food produced with non-citizen help as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Shit! What if you are an illegal alien!? I know... GO HOME!

Reply to
Jack Lime

Does that mean you were Made In (South or Central) America

or did someone Make you in America while on the run.

Reply to
ArBy

Made on the run. My father server in WW2 and was home on leave. He is buried in France. Any other questions smart ass?

Reply to
Made In America

Then why do you continue to buy these products and support these companies?

You sound a little conflicted to me.

You need to join an activist group, get involved in politics, donate to a PAC, or move to California.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Cool. Grerat ladders, and now they'll be less expensive (or not increase in price). Way to go Werner!

The union doesn't own the company. The stockholders do. They're pretty happy about increased profits. Guess all the steelworkers will have to retrain in those 90-day information technology programs...

Here's the deal. I don't base my buying decisions on the recommendations of some union boss. Your post deosn't change that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Spoken like a true union man!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Not true at all.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

No, the U.S. is moving away from being a productive society. Jobs are going overseas and not being replaced by anything at all.

Adam Smith was a moron. People are not pigs or cotton. When labor is valued as a commodity, humanity soon becomes dirt cheap, and expendible. I'm sure Adam Smith wouldn't mind legalizing murder if the meat can be sold for a profit.

Reply to
ChinaOwnsAmerica

Did you read what you wrote? 50 Mexicans are going to replace 500 union workers? What does that say about the productivity of the union workers?

If the company had not been profitable, the union workers would not have enjoyed their jobs for as many years as they did.

Reply to
andy asberry

Nehmo

product.

Trent©"

Nehmo I take it that you are disagreeing with the concept that prices are market driven. *Why* do you think that's not true?

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

just 1 more. how about those K.C Royals.....eh!

"The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself."

lighten up!

Reply to
ArBy

No, we can blame ourselves. We demand low prices. In turn, Wal*Mart, Home Depot, etc, force the manufacturers to make products as cheap as then can. As we turn the screws on the stores for lower prices, then just keep going back until it bites us in the ass. Bush (or any other politician of any party) did not make the decision to move out of the US Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

True story:

Buddy of mine and his friend got a summer job helping to load freight in an union shop. First morning out, they're going like gang busters to get the stuff loaded. About noon one of the union guys pulls them aside "Hey, slow down, you're ruining it for the legit guys".

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Well, mostly. If you're a really big company, say like Dick Cheney's Halliburton, you move the company headquarters to Bermuda. Then you take advantage of a loophole in the US Tax Code that the Republicans steadfastly refuse to close and you pay no US taxes.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob