Rockler Visit

I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for a visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

I thought that was interesting that US manufacture was considered a marketing point. Also, I didn't know that they still built saws here. I thought they went offshore. I wonder if they finally figured out that many people weren't going to buy a chinese copy of a unisaw.

Another interesting display was the Festools. Talk about getting tool envy. I saw the Festool sliding miter saw. I looked at the price and it said $130. I thought that this could not be right. I looked closer and someone had bent the little sign showing the price. I straightened it out and it said $1300. OK, that is more like it. Obviously somebody's idea of a joke. I was about to buy it even if I already had a miter saw.

Another thing that became obvious looking at the Festool catalog. You can spend a $1,000 or more for a basic tool. Then you can spend $20,000 for accessories and consumables! They getcha coming and going.

I drooled a little more, grabbed a catalog and went to my next appointment. Gotta go eat now. My honey is making up some of her world famous barbecued chicken pizza..

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Better than a visit to a strip-joint, eh Lee?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

You know you are getting old when tools are at least as exciting as naked, gyrating women. And you don't get slapped if you fondle the tools either! Both are expensive though.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

More expensive than any strip joint I've ever been to and that includes drinks and the stuffing of money in a stripper's g-string.

Reply to
Upscale

Built in America, IIRC many of the parts are made in other counties.

Festool may be way more tool than you need as far as quality and longetivity are concerned. I know it certainly is that way for me however I do own 4 Festool Power tools. Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and left no dust behind during the job.

Reply to
Leon

I, too suspect "BUILT" is the key word. I'll bet many of the parts came from China. Especially castings. I also have to wonder if, at $3,300, it is four times the saw as my eight year old Grizzly 1023S. (OK, before you do the inflation thing on me, three+ times better than currently priced 1023S).

When I started looking for cabinet saws 8-9 years ago I thought it was going to be easy. I grew up around old Unisaws and figured I would just buy one, until I saw the new ones. They weren't the same saws. Other than looking a lot different, I hope the new Unisaw is truly a better machine that is worth that kind of money.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

At $ 3300.00, A Unisaur would be in the neighbourhood of a SawStop. By all accounts an excellent saw. Then there are a few General saws to choose from in that price-range. There are too many other saws in that price bracket, including a Festool plunge with table and tracks.

If I was without saw and had to make a $3K decision, I think I would re-learn my way of doing things and go track.

Also, $3K buys a nice restorable Altendorf or SCM slider.

Reply to
Robatoy

Actually, when I saw the first pictures of the new Unisaw my mind clicked over to Craftsman of the mid-70's. That is when they started selling gimmicks and appearance stuff and quit building a descent grade of power tools. I know that is not appropriate for the new Deltas (I hope) but that was an impression. Those handwheels are an attention getter.

RonB

RonB

Reply to
RonB

And the amazing thing was that the construction site fan which was keeping us from heat stroke, and which periodically took its own rest break due to the 106 degree temperature in central Texas, was louder by far than the Festool "shop vac".

The combination sander and vac was pretty cool ... well, not quite "cool", but nifty as hell. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Wow!

That got my attention.

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

No, I think the saw is way over priced for what you are getting. It is purdy but so is the SawStop for a few hundred more and you get a lot lot more safety for your buck. IMHO the new Unisaw is still running 3rd place behind the latest offferings from SawStop and Powermatic.

My money was going towards the Unisaw 10 years ago utlil the 2 dealers that carried Delta and Jet pointed me toward the Jet and then one of the dealers pointed out the broken trunion on the Unisaw display model. I still have the Jet.

Reply to
Leon

YEAH!!!!!!

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

D'ju hear that Swingman? ROTFL

Reply to
Leon

Actually I think the appearance of quality control looks to be a notch up from American, think Japanese. I honestly don't think I have seen any American machinery look this good.

Reply to
Leon

The front name Badge clearly states, MADE in the USA, of U.S. and "foreigh" components.

So I think the badge is like TiteBond III Water proof glue, somewhat misleading.

Hopefully like Toyota and Honda.

Reply to
Leon

and I were in this new residential construction all day for three days this week, in 104 + degree heat, no AC, installing these boxes. Photos were taken as we left late yesterday afternoon for the 150 mile trek back to our respective shops, and the relative cool of the Gulf Coast.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, I gotta agree. I was up at the Woodcraft store yesterday... big ol' SawStop cabinet saw on display right inside the door. It was all I could do to not drool on it... Nice piece of gear, that. Very solid and well-made. And as soon as I saw "$3,300" in that post I thought, Why? Why spend that on a Unisaw when you can get a SawStop for basically the same price? It's an outstanding saw, better IMO than the Unisaw even if it did *not* have the safety feature.

SawStop is going to eat Delta for lunch in the table saw market.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They look awesome.

(i still wish that you would not run those vertical's all the way to the top - don't look natcheral to me :-) )

The thing that got me going was the "NO DUST" part.

I'm gonna have to take a look at these Fusstools.

You boys are rockin'!

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

LOL ... Yep, I agree. But, being forced to build cabinets months before a structure even exists ain't exactly a "natcheral" endeavor, Tom

... and individual boxes, face frames clamped and screwed together side by side, do tend to look that way.

Not to mention - staring this in the face, with a schedule to meet and dimensions changing with every coat of plaster:

and you do what you gotta do. :)

IOW, you ain't done nothing till you've tried your hand at designing/building/hanging cabinets on the walls of a "straw bale" house!

Don't ask ... it definitely ain't "natcheral". :)

Reply to
Swingman

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god intended for cows and horses to shit in?

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

"Doug Miller" wrote

What is this thing of putting a big peice of drool worthy equipment right inside the front door? Does that loosen up the wallets or something?

I haven't seen a Sawstop up close and personal. Maybe I should wander down to Woodcraft and take a look. Refresh my memory somebody. Where are the Sawstops made?

Reply to
Lee Michaels