Tom Plamann article - new shop

I caught this article in the local paper over the weekend, and thought I'd pass it along. It sounds like Tom's business is doing well, and he's moving to a new shop. I wonder who gets to help move the lathe?!?!

firm first tenant at Hortonville industrial park Village official says more companies likely to choose site By Linda Dums Post-Crescent staff writer

HORTONVILLE ? A company that specializes in high-end architectural woodwork will be the first tenant in the Hortonville Business and Industrial Park II, located on Outagamie County TT.

LeadingEdge Contractors, Inc., which has spent five years on State 76 west of Neenah, is planning to build an 8,000-square-foot facility on two acres in the park, which opened earlier this year.

"It's a nice site," said owner Tom Plamann, who chose the location because it is close to his Greenville home. "I like the country out there."

Now that a company has signed on for the 96-acre park, Village Administrator J. E. Mitchell expects more will come. The village's first industrial park, across the street from Park II, is nearly full with 16 tenants on 45 acres, he added.

"I think we're starting off really well with a good, solid anchoring firm," Mitchell said. "People will start seeing it as an industrial park and not a farm."

LeadingEdge builds and ships woodwork such as stairways and beam work for high-end homes. Plamann hopes to expand his workforce of five full-time employees and one part-time employee to 10.

The site plan for the company is slated to appear before the Oct. 12 Planning and Zoning Committee meeting. It then would go before the village board in November. Plamann hopes to start work soon on the facility and open by the beginning of the year.

John Helgren, president of the Hortonville Chamber of Commerce, also sees great things coming to the new industrial park.

"We're looking forward to it filling rapidly and having (LeadingEdge's) people and their employees part of our community," he said.

Reply to
Jason Weis

Thanks for the post. It is good to hear that Tom is advancing even more.

Reply to
Leon

On 28 Sep 2004 09:44:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jason Weis) calmly ranted:

Hortonville Hears a WHO? Tom Plamann? Cool. I'd give odds that he hires a rigger for TMOAL. Bets? (Best of luck to you, Tom!)

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

A new 8,000 sf building in a new industrial park with 6 1/2" employees is significant enough to warrant a village news paper article. Here' in Silly Cone Valley, Cisco has several

1.2 to 1.8 million sf facilities and plans for a 3.2 msf campus site for 20,000+ employees (the Pentagon - just what's above ground - is only 3 million square feet.) Of course I'm sure the median house price is quite a bit less than the half million for a 1200-1600 sf 50 year old house on an 8000 sf lot we have here. And I'm pretty sure the "peak hours" don't last 3 -3 1/2 hours AM & PM.

Am looking foreward to Tom posting some pics of the new shop. He's the only person I've heard of who has granite topped assembly benches 'cause he wants a flat reference circle. He always aims high and typically overshoots. Still waiting for the pics of the CNC machine he's going to make.

The Dec. issue of Woodwork has a long article on a guy who does BIG (12 feet long BIG), off centered, spiral pieces using a a modified 8' between centers lathe and a vertcial guides with a grinder attachment thing he invented. Can only imagine what Tom P could do with that equiptment.

Mr. P is a continual source of inspiration with heavy doses of lessons in humility.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Ever met his son 'Tiny'? He's huge with huge muscles and a huge heart to match.

Reply to
Folklore

Way to go!!!! and Best of Luck!!!

Reply to
dteckie

I've derived immense pleasure and a lot of ideas from his website. Hope he keeps it going even with the new stuff. Would be nice if he put up jpgs of the new shop.

If he could get the MOAL going in the old shop, can you imagine what he's gonna go for in the new one? :)

Reply to
Noons

I'll take those odds. That would be a small challenge for him...

Reply to
Eric Johnson

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:03:48 -0500, "Eric Johnson" calmly ranted:

2:1 on a stick of gum. Make mine sugarless bubblegum.

The problem for you is that he's smarter than that. He knows his time is much better spent on other things.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

I'm in, hell weld on an axle and a hitch and it's mobile.... Shops going to be down during the move anyway and most of us Wisconsin folks like doing it ourselves anyway.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

6 1/2" employees would warrant it in Buffalo as well. ;-)

Nova

heh. even I have a 6-1/2" ... er... ah....

never mind.

Reply to
bridger

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:07:00 -0400, Nova calmly ranted:

More of those damned Irish immigrants, eh?

(Leprewhats?)

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

Congrats to Tom. Looking forward to news from his new digs.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

It seems pretty optimistic to get final government approval in November and be moving in by January.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert