What happend to Tom Plamann...?

Hi, was just wondering what has happened to Tom Plamann and/or his web site?

He used to have a very inspiring web site looking like this:

now...it's like this:

name

Pat Barber

Hello there,

He was abducted by aliens.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

I only hope that Tom hasn't gotten sick and had to go to the dark side for financial reasons.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I think he really was!

Reply to
B A R R Y

I got curious to see what I could find, (...obsessive I guess. I don't know the guy from Adam) ran his name through google and came up with an active plaxo account that says it was updated as of Nov. 12 2008.

picture on the plaxo page seems to match the pic on his old site.

Reply to
phorbin

The pages show he is owner of a company named XanGo, which a Google search comes up with,

. yep, I think he got abducted by aliens! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"Greg O" wrote

I don't know that he owns the company, but I do know that we used to be bombarded during Open House Sunday's by mangosteen saleswomen coming by to ostensibly look at the house, but really trying to get you buy the stuff and sell to others. IOW, it apparently relies on multi-level marketing, which always seems to attract those disposed to religious fervor of one type or another.

Apparently, and judging from Tom's obvious woodworking talent/artisanship being at a similar level, even Michelangelo would have succumbed to buying into something similar to feed his family had his patronage evaporated in difficult times.

Can't say that I blame him ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Greg O" wrote in news:a4n_k.298947$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-08.dc.easynews.com:

Wouldn't that make him a Scientologist?

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

You are assuming he feel on hard times!? You know something the rest of us don't? I find it hard to believe Tom would fall on hard times with the abilities he has. Something has obviously made a major change in his life with no indication of what happened to his woodworking business. It seemed he was going great a couple years ago with his new shop, now nothing. I find it hard to believe he just gave up on woodworking. It is all very strange. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Well, considering the size of his shop and the business he was getting only a few short years ago, maybe he sold it all off and is living on a tropical island somewhere. No electricity, no phones, just sand, surf and friendly dolphins.

Reply to
Upscale

"Greg O" wrote

Nope ... but these are "hard times", and there are numerous woodworking enterprises biting the dust as we speak. Stairs appear to have been his forte, and stairs go in houses, and ... so it wouldn't be all that surprising.

While one would like to think that kind of talent could overcome just about anything, I've known a number of world class musicians who just suddenly chucked it up, to play nevermore ... it seems genius often requires most, a challenge.

Reply to
Swingman

One never knows. That new big shop may have been poorly timed and he had a big note to pay as the economy declined. Or he paid cash and is still enjoying the benefits. Or he fell to poor health. Or he joined a radical religious sect. Or he sold everything for millions and is selling juice as a hobby.

Agree on the strange, but if he's happy, I'm happy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Possibly, but I've heard it said more than once that there's always a market for extremely high quality products and there's always people with the money to pay for them. Saying that Tom just made stairs is not saying very much. He made beautiful stairs, incomparable in so many ways.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote

I hope you're right ... but I'll let you know real soon if my house, an "extremely high quality product" IMO, sells for what I think it's worth, despite the times. :)

So was Mozart ... but even he had to play some shitty gigs to pay the bills. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Personally, I think he's probably doing well. He probably simply decided to devote his web space to something else. His previous web site was basically a personal brag book. Maybe he no longer feels like sharing that content?

The product he's selling on the web is a multi-level marketed product. His previous web site was a show and tell, the new one sells the product.

While I'm not a big fan of MLM, some folks DO make a nice chunk of change while selling that way. Maybe he found a way to easily pick up extra cash. We have a local firefighter who sells some sort of health drink. Over the past few years, he's built an enormous downline and the cash literally prints itself.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Doors too. The examples he posted of his carved doors were nothing short of awesome.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

And some of those creations are the most memorable and loved.

Reply to
phorbin

Here's what's happened to Tom (from the horse's mouth):

Reply to
Gary A in KC

Oops - too late. He posted here for us!

Gary A in KC