Tom Plamann's New Shop

Pix on abpw. It's 8,500 square feet. That's eight thousand five hundred.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I'd like to look but what is "ABPW" ?

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

ABPW = alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Sti©ky

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Picture files ("binaries") are not allowed here, so we post them there.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I'd like to look but what is 8500 square feet?

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Sounds a bit rough. Why so small?

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Well, come on now, be fair. We all have budget constraints.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Dacon

It's a little bigger than the lot my house sits on.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

It makes perfect sense to me Bob. He creates aircraft cabinets, therefore he needs the room to taxi the aircraft in and fit them. Obviously the 747-400s are limited to one at a time.

Reply to
Greg Millen
747-400s : are limited to one at a time. : : -- : : Greg :

Smart ass! The truth is, he needs the room to grow and harvest his own lumber.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

1/2 scale maybe.

A 747 is approx 180 feet wide x 210 feet long. That's a minimum of

38000 ft/sq. In other words, an acre!

Even a "tiny" MD-88 would require about 12000 sq/ft.

8500 ft/sq is a really NICE wood shop, though!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Yeah, well...I just spent the weekend cleaning up a 1200 SF woodshop after spending a week shooting photos therein.

I assume that Tom Plamann is better organized than I--it has been said that a kitten with diarrhea is, so you figure it out--and doesn't let things get as scattered and screwed up. Too, I moved before I built all the cabinets I need in the shop. And there are a couple boxes still left to unpack and a workbench to...you get the idea.

My shop is 48' long, 25' wide. And after a couple days of moving small stuff around, my damned feet hurt.

The thought of doing something similar in an 8500 SF shop is daunting. My feet hurt in sympathy.

So it's time to go out and shoot a few more photos, and then start planing wood for a corner cabinet I promised my wife. She won't get it by Christmas, because I have to draw the plans yet, and I have to finish some kitchen cabinets (in the sense of complete, not in the sense of 'finish' since this cabinetry is painted and she is doing that work).

I'd love to get it done in time for Christmas, because all I need to buy is some hinges and some door pulls. Cheap present, if you don't count the time and the already paid price for the oak.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Well, it's about 87% of an acre ... but I would gladly take the 13% difference as an addition to my shop.

Reply to
Swingman

my lot size is 75 x 100'... my garage is 20 x 20'... ANYTHING bigger would/will be better!

Last night, I made the mistake of turning the tv to the WS game while I was sanding some trim... after the 4th or 5th neighbor showed up, I was out of room in the shop AND the driveway... hoping to find a bigger place by March!

Reply to
mac davis

Some of you seem to think Tom's shop is a little big. If you are not familiar with this gentleman go take a look at his site.

preassembles staircases, that roll my eyes back, in his shop. He also does aircraft cabinetry, custom home work, and theater stage surrounds that kinda dwarf my rocking horses. Tom's lathe and stroke sander would probably crush my 2500HD pickup.

This fellow isn't your typical tool fetish*. He puts them to incredible use.

RonB

*Well, maybe a little.
Reply to
RonB

I'll bet over half is for "clamp storage".

Reply to
patrick conroy

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:04:09 GMT, patrick conroy calmly ranted:

That and his little lathe.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh yeah... I'm embarrased to even mention that for Tom's sake. I mean it's so tiny. Poor dear prolly has lathe-envy...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Now THIS is wRECk we know and love! First everybody gives congrats on the new building & better business, THEN we start picking on him!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow