Tracing lines on to wood

Here's a quick way to transfer lines to wood and very cheap in the long run because if you keep the caps on artist's oil paint tubes they will last for years and years.

Put a rag on your finger and rub oil paint directly from the tube on the back of the paper-just behind where the lines are.

Rub it on and then smooth it with a rag until it feels dry to the touch. A matter of seconds.

Lay the paper on the wood- oil paint side down-and trace over your lines with a pencil. You don't have to press hard.

A cheaper tube of "student grade" oil paint will cost about $3.00. A bargain in cost as well as time and effort if you plan to do much tracing over the coming years.

I'll put a photo on the binary pape.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

Congratulations... you invented carbon paper!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

[snip]

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

Doug Miller

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm not quite there yet, but I certainly remember it. Haven't used it for a while, but I'm sure I still have a few sheets hanging around somewhere.

Doug Miller

Well, I'm a baker's dozen shy of 50, and we used it in my Typing I class in high school.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

My God, do they still even make carbon paper? I found some at the office the other day and some of the younger clerks didn't even know what it was.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

My hobby is restoring antique radios and often there is a situation where some wood, strips across a speaker grill come to mind, have to be replaced. If you can't find the exact wood you could;

Paint a piece of wood a light yellow-brown color. Find your woodgrain on the internet and print it out in black and white. Use this method to trace the woodgrain on the paper. Otherwise the grain lines have to be painted by hand. Add some spray toner if needed and apply your finish

(and I reply) Thanks for the additional information. First time around you gave us a solution to a problem we didn' tknow we had. Now you have supplied us with a great tip for restoration work or specialty decorative trim. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When's the last time you've seen a bottle of "White Out"?

Reply to
Swingman

There's a new product that makes "white-out" look dark ages, it's like "correct-tape" with its own dispenser". It's handy for things like envelopes or fixing handwriting mistakes.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nah, I'm 36 and I remember using it when I was 10 or 12.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Most all the replies here have said, "That's carbon paper." Thought at 45 I am old enough to have used (and probably still have in several boxes ) carbon paper, I think you came up with something novel and different.

- Your technique puts the transfer agent where it is needed; carbon paper always left smudges all over my seconds.

- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets. Your technique is limited only by the size of the paper. I own a printer that can print 24" wide by a mile long. Tom Plamann (an inspiration to us all ) has a printer that can make a printout 54" wide by a mile long.

technique works for large format printers; carbon paper, though similar, fails entirely.

Thanks for thinking. I saved your post. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Yes, they still make carbon paper. But the place(s) to look for it are in fabric stores, craft stores and Woodcraft. I particularly like the stuff that comes from fabric stores since it comes in multiple colors.

--RC

rcook5

Woodcraft has carbon paper is much larger sheets for tracing woodworking projects.

--RC

rcook5

Wrong, I'm 44 and remember it well. :)

Reply to
CW

Go to a fabric store. 36" wide by however long a roll is.

Reply to
CW

I'm still surprised. ;-) The OP came up with a DIY method that: - is super cheap. - doesn't require aligning another layer. - doesn't have the possibility of putting marks where not intended. - is trivially easy to store.

IMO xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Reply to