Pencil erasures and spray adhesive removal

Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Ken Nuzum

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) should remove the adhesive, and a pencil eraser will remove the pencil marks.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

When I'm making delicate pieces on my scroll saw I always make a pattern on paper (either hand drawn pencil or a photocopy) and glue it to the wood with a special waxy spray-on glue that is made for this purpose. I never put pencil lines directly on the wood and I pre-sand the wood before I start. After cutting out the parts, I remove the paper and glue with paint thinner. The only follow-on sanding that I do is sometimes a careful rub with fine paper to clean up any rough edges. Woodworkers Supply sells the glue, but I'm sure that it's available from other sources.

Reply to
Charley

Screw the eraser. Your mention of paint thinner also dissolves pencil marks INSTANTLY and EFFORTLESSLY.

Reply to
Leon

Paint thinner will "instantly" remove pencil marks. Thinner or Acetone will work on the adhesive.

Reply to
Leon

Use some lacquer thinner (or equivalent) to remove the pencil marks and avoid using a standard hard-rubber eraser. If you must use an eraser then get one of the soft gummy erasers as used in artwork so you do not essentially sand the area with the eraser. Only use the eraser in the direction of the grain if needed. There are several solvents that will remove pencil marks and have names I can't recall at the moment but they all work as lacquer thinners too. Look at the cans in the borg and read the safety precautions for using the stuff - some are very potent.

Bob S.

Reply to
none

For pencil marks, I use alcohol. not sure that would help with the adhesive, which may be why so many others mentioned thinner. Dave

Reply to
David

I had good luck removing eraser rubber from the pores of some oak by using a stiff short hair (as in, bristles made of hair) brush. A shoe brush works well for that. Never again will I use an eraser on wood.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Have you actually tried sanding? I've put some stuff I thought was too delicate under a ROS with no ill effects, much less careful hand sanding. I figure if it can't hold up to that how is it going to hold up over time to regular handling?

Something I've recently been doing is printing/drawing on self adhesive labels. They sometimes pull off from the scroll saw a bit, but they don't leave much residue, and no pencil marks.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Rubbing alcohol (91%) will remove pencil marks. Try mineral spirits on the adhesive.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ken Nuzum wrote: > Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray > adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove > both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.

Rubber cement works wonders.

Apply a coat with a brush, let dry, then rub off with your finger.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett