Need Carpet Removal Tips

Hi, I plan to remove the carpet in the townhouse I just bought. But don't know how. The first floor has concrete floor and second floor has hardwood floor. A friend is ready to help me do this job. I need to do it before my Laminate floor arrives at my place.

Can you give me tips on how to do it? (I am a first time buyer and have absolutely no experience in DIY kind of jobs) How long will it take to ripoff and cut it into 4' width? (area is about 1700 sq ft) What instruments do I need? Any precaution to be taken? Or is it worth paying the installers to do this job?

Thanks in advance,

Desi

Reply to
Desi

If you're not worried about scratches in the subfloor, simply get some hooked blades for your utility knife and start cutting the carpet into strips. A 15x15 room of stretched in carpet only takes a few minutes to slice up and remove that way. Then you'll need to remove the tack strip that is probably around the edges of the room. That'll take a small pry-bar and maybe a hammer with nail puller to get everything loose.

If the carpet on the concrete is glued down, what you do is slice it into strips and try and pull it up. Start with wide strips, and if those are too hard to pull up, reduce the strip width until the strips are managable. In the basement of a house I own, it probably took me 15 hours to pull up the carpet in one 700 sf room because someone had gotten overenthusiastic when they glued down the carpet.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Unless you are really short of funds, let the installers remove the old stuff.

Especially off the concrete.

Reply to
Lurker

I just got new carpet - the floor is concrete under the carpet. There was no glue involved....

Just had the carpet tack strips around the edge. Wasn't prepared for all the dirt that was under the pad. The installers did the removal but it didn't look like a big deal to me.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

Desi:

D > I plan to remove the carpet in the townhouse I just bought. But don't D > know how. D > The first floor has concrete floor and second floor has hardwood D > floor. A friend is ready to help me do this job. I need to do it D > before my Laminate floor arrives at my place. D > D > Can you give me tips on how to do it? (I am a first time buyer and D > have absolutely no experience in DIY kind of jobs) D > How long will it take to ripoff and cut it into 4' width? (area is D > about 1700 sq ft) D > What instruments do I need? D > Any precaution to be taken? D > Or is it worth paying the installers to do this job?

Sharp utility or preferably carpet knife. Might be easier to cut the carpet in 4- or 5' strips while it is flat (in position) than later.

Twine -- to secure the rolled-up carpet strips. (Duct tape tends to loosen -- probably because bought cheap duct tape.)

Leather gloves -- the backing can be a 'sharp'.

Sweep up the under-carpet debris (someone else mentioned the dirt that gets through). When done vacuum, preferably with a (small) shop vac. If using your regular vacuum turn the beater bar off (straight suction); replace filter bag frequently.

For the pad that sticks to the flooring you can use an ice scraper to get started, then a 2" putty knife to get the residue. (I generally skipped the ice scraper -- missed too much.) A gardening pad will save your knees.

Use a small crow bar to pry up the carpet strips. Warning: the nails sticking up are SHARP!! A 6 or 8 inch one is sufficient. Rather than picking up by hand (ouch!) might consider a pair of pliers.

Good music for distraction (it's kind of a boring job!) and since you have a friend helping beverage of choice and a pizza or crockpot (slow cooker) meal. :)

  • Oklahoma motto: Rather Sooner than Later.
Reply to
barry martin

(good tips snipped)

I'll add- if you or your helper is subject to allergies, wear a dust mask and have running water and a stack of old towels available to wipe off face and arms as needed, and plan on showering and changing immediately afterward. Wash the dirty clothes and towels seperately in hot water. If allergy-prone people will be in house after, damp-mop and wipe down all horizontal surfaces, after vacuming, and run an exhaust fan in window for a few hours. For allergy people, the stuff that grows under a carpet should be treated as hazmat.

Been there, done that, damn near died after. If I ever get rich enough to build a house, it'll be hardwood and tile throughout. No rugs too big to throw in a washer.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers