OT(?) WRECK Merry Christmas -- Tom Plamann Site Update

I had a brain fart while looking through abpw today... Follow along if you can.

Tom Plamann does outstanding woodworking.

office looks like a cathedral. (See abpw "shop office" 12/3/2005 6:52 PM.)

Unfortunately he's too busy woodworking to update his web site as often as I would like... ;-)

Facts: 1. There are WRECKers who maintain great web sites, some professionally (for hire). 2. Mr. Plamann does not update his web site as frequently as I wish he would. Weekly (or daily) updates come to mind. 3. Web site maintenance can be outsourced. 4. I am willing to support said outsourced web site maintenance of Tom Plamann's site the same amount as a magazine subscription. ($24 / year or $2 / month.) Looking at his new postings gives me as much inspiration as an issue of e.g. ShopNotes or Wood.

The Idea (brain fart):

Tom Plamann's site is (one time or (the best case) frequently) updated, to the benefit of all woodworkers, by: - Site maintenance outsourced to an expert, hopefully a woodworker, and - $upported by contribution$ of interested WRECKer$.

Questions for the WRECK.

  1. Who i$ willing to join me in $upporting update$ to Tom'$ web $ite?
  2. Are there web-expert WRECKers willing to maintain Tom's site?

I have not emailed Mr. Plamann but I assume he would not be opposed to more frequent updates of his web site.

Thoughts? Comments?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:47:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mark Jerde" quickly quoth:

I'm willing, Mark. If it's OK with Tom, let's go! (I'm guilty of not updating my own website often enough.)

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You are making quite a few assumptions. Number One on the list is that photographs need to be taken, and just MAYBE Tom's got more important things to do, like making money on his woodworking. Number Two, he'd have to devote time to creating the copy that goes with Number One. Number Three, websites rich with content are mostly all free, so who's gonna be willing to fund this brainstorm of yours?

Other than No's 1-3, it's a wonderful idea...

Dave

Reply to
David

Tom is a successful businessman. I'm fairly certain that if he felt his web site was important enough to his operation to regularly update it, he could well afford to have it done.

So, no. I am not willing to contribute my money to support the website of a successful business, no matter how spectacular the work.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It seems your debate ticked Tom off, : "Website for domain is closed" is what I get now, lol.

(Deliberately top-posted for convenience)

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Could just be down for maintenance.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I get: This account has surpassed its bandwidth allocation at the present time.

I just bet he appreciates the type of attention his site has been getting in the last couple of days-----> NOT!

This kinda shit happens when people poke their noses where they don't belong.

If one had an idea for Mr. Plamann's website, a simple e-mail to him would have been the way to go.. NOT out in public where morons like myself are sitting here going: "Wow. DUDE!! The OP is so right-ON!!"

Reply to
Robatoy

I love it. I find it hard to believe that some people complain about the way one may post his information or help. Nothing like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Bottom posted because "this time" I wanted to waste more of my time. ;~)

Reply to
Leon