To: Tom Watson - I put some pics on abpw

I posted a few current work pictures on abpw for Tom and others.

Reply to
Tom Plamann

Hello Tom.... How is your wife and family going these days... Much better I hope..

Reply to
Leon

Hi Leon

My wife is doing very well thanks. She's a great gal and was recently honored. Here is a link to her newspaper article.

rest of the family is doing great also. I have a three month old grand daughter who I haven't seen yet. But my son and his family will be home for Christmas for the first time in six years. He and his wife are in the Air Force. He has been doing some great things for his country in the past year. I am glad there are people like him. I wish others understood reality a bit more.

Life is good.

Thanks for asking

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

example for others. I wish the best for your mother in-law.

I'd be chompin at the bit to see her.

Ah, you are just surrounded by honorable people.. ;~)

I for one am extremely greatful for the job that you son does and for those that work along with him.

You have the right attitude also Tom..

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon

Reply to
Tom Plamann

Hey Tom: Thanks for posting the photos, they look great.

Looks like the MOAL is running to spec and kicking serious butt. You'd have had a hell of a time getting that entasis right without being able to turn the blanks. Looks excellent.

I'm thinking this place is big enough to carry a couple of super tall, curved staircases in the entry foyer. Any chance of that? Please tell me they didn't give away the stair work.

Looks like big fun, Tom. Take lots of pictures.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

you a picture soon.

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

On 16 Oct 2003 19:34:15 GMT, "Tom Plamann" pixelated:

So, how many s/f does 2,500 yards of concrete make?

3-4 acres, eh?

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

...or more importantly for us WW's how many BF of concrete:

2500y^3 x 27f^3/y^3 x 12bf/f^3 = 810,000 bf?

That's a bunch of board feet of concrete!

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Hell to resaw though, and hard on blades.

Reply to
Silvan

Well, let's see:

2,500 cu yds concrete = 67,500 cu ft concrete, which could make a 24"w x 12" d footer about 33,750 ft long, or about 6.39 miles.

Considered another way; If'n you laid out the footer to the proportions of a golden rectangle (1.62/1 approx), you would have a rectangle about 6,500 ft x 10,500 ft - which would make a damned nice shop.

Seems like a lot of crete until you consider the following:

Hoover Dam (including power plant, buildings, etc.) 4,360,000 cu yds.

The Pentagon 435,000 cu yds.

Empire State Building 62,000 cu yds.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Not to mention:

Jimmy Hoffa's socks ... 4356 cu yards.

:o

"Tom Watson" weighed in with:

Reply to
Rick

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 03:12:42 GMT, "Doug Winterburn" pixelated:

Let's hope one knows how to sharpen one's edges, wot? Since concrete is usually poured (in rich folks' homes) in 4-6" depth, cut that down a bit. Hmm, mortising that would be, er, kinda rough, even with timberframing tools.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

Fur sicher, fur sicher. Even more interesting is a rough calculation of the cost of 2500 cubic yards of concrete. In the pre-inflation olden days, we used to figure $100/yard in place. Even at that low price, the mud in this joint comes to a minimum of a cool quarter Mil-a-buck.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

And you can safely round that to 1 million bf, since the 2500 yards is true, not nominal. (There is probably closer to 15 or 16 bf.ft^3.)

Reply to
alexy

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:22:36 GMT, "Doug Winterburn" pixelated:

I'm sure the rich dude got it for a cheaper price per cube. It helps when you buy the total output from a company for a week or three, y'think?