Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

The city of Denver is bringing in thousands of dollars in fines every year by ticketing people who stop at red lights. They?re ticketed because their tire goes over the white line that marks where the vehicle should stop.

The red light cameras at various intersections in the city will flash and the driver will be sent a $75 citation if the vehicle goes over the white line, even if the driver stops for the light.

CBS4 Investigator Rick Sallinger found most everyone who challenged the white line tickets in court lost.

==========

I don't know why the car on the right is circled in that picture. The minivan on the left appears to have crossed the line.

The picture doesn't look clear or detailed enough to see the licence plate (?).

Reply to
Home Guy

It's legally defined as having entered the intersection and is almost universally illegal. It's the same as stopping halfway through the intersection, which no one would dare question as being a fineable offense. But, the line must be drawn somewhere and it IS, in plain sight, with bright white or yellow paint. If yer too stupid to stop short of the line, then yer too stupid to be driving.

OTOH, that some alarmist jerk journalist decides to make an issue of it only shows how far the news media will go to avoid having to report real news content. If you can't find --or are too spineless to report-- any real news, create some bogus news. I wish the newspaper industry would hurry up and finally die off and let biased, lying, agenda carrying, legal dept free, bloggers finally have free reign to ferret out the dirty laundry. Even if they may be too stupid to know when to shut up (which is probably the most honest news). ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The drivers cited have nothing to complain about. They broke the law

-- period. The lines on the road are there for a purpose.

Too bad that doesn't catch on throughout the rest of the country.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Good!!

Great!!!!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Chicago has just started to ticked you 100$ if you leave old city stickers on your windshield, everybody wants revenue

Reply to
ransley

What took 'em so long? It's illegal in CA to have ANY sticker anywhere on the front windshield and has been for half a century, or more.

nb

Reply to
notbob

the feds want mandatory GPS imbeded on all new vehicles.

the vehicle would monitor the driver and report in by cell phone all infractions. things like wreckless driving speeding etc. vehicle would look for signs of being driven by a DUI and call for police assistance

tampering with the system would shut down the vehicle completely.

police could send out a slow down signal to all vehicles in area of a police chase.

Reply to
bob haller

What do they do with out-of-staters who's state *requires* such stickers?

Reply to
krw

They also need to ticket people who do that at stop signs, too.

Driving isn't a joke, and it isn't a game. Follow the rules or get off the road.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Shoot 'em. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It is about money, not justice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You've never crossed the line? If the yellow was a bit short, the guy had a tailgater he was trying to avoid, a distraction by another car, are all reasons you may slip a bit over the line. I guess it is better to just keep going as long as you'll be paying anyway. screw safety, get your money's worth.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

(sigh) Yeah Ed, I have.

I also occasionally exceed the speed limit, even with the cruise control engaged, and I sometimes park further than 18" from the curb and have even been known to let my parking meter expire (gasp!). But, it's damn rare cuz I treat driving as a full-time job requiring my full focus, not a sideline activity requiring only occasional attention, like so many other drivers. And, if it should occur, I got no bitch if I get nailed, do I? A tailgater or short yellow lights are bogus excuses. If yer paying attention and know yer business, you slow down even further back from the stop line or pull over to let the jerk pass you. You should also know where the short yellows are or at least assume that one might occur. Anticipating poor drivers and bad conditions is part of being a good driver.

nb

Reply to
notbob

You're both close. It's about dangerous and assh#$% politicians.

Reply to
krw

Holy crap. When I took my drivers test in PA we had to parallel park within 6" of the curb. It was later changed to 12". Over 18" from the curb? I just checked PA and it's still 12" but sure enough it is up to

18" here in TN. I'd be embarrassed to leave a vehicle sticking out more than about 10".
Reply to
Tony Miklos

A car is a piece of cake. Try parallel parking a Toyota mini-motorhome, sometime. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Do you have a citation for this? There are some court cases kicking around saying that police may put GPS on a car without a warrant, but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I suspect what they are going after the people who drive with expired stickers in the hopes that noone with notice they aren't current.

Reply to
Robert Neville

It is a skill that takes practice. When I lived in Philly, I could parallel park in a spot an inch longer than my car. Now, I can go months and not have to park at a curb. I do OK, but not as good as I used to. It was a matter of survival if you wanted to park on the streets.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll still put my money on money. Going 6" over the line is not very dangerous, but not paying $75 hurts the system.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski