water collects at bottom of fridge

This Fridigaire seems older, but cools real good. However under the crisper drawers are pools of water. If I open a crisper drawer, the water gets all over the place.

I looked underneath the fridge and I don't see any kind of drain pan. Also, there is no apparent drain at the bottom of the fridge under the crisper drawers. Thus I don't understand why water is collecting there.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Michael

you probably have the freezer on top and refrigerator on the bottom.. the moisture you see if what is suppose to go into a tube about midway on the back of the refrig... you probably have lights back there and some dials to adjust the temp or air flow.. you remove the plastic that covers the lights and other shielding back there and will see a small funnel shaped plastic or rubber thing that is there to catch the water from the freezer drain(you probably can see the freezer drain, but its there)... and the funnel is blocked up with food particles or algea... pull the funnel out and wash it in hot water and then remove the bottom panel off the refrigerator and look under there with a good flashlight and look for the drain pan there... then go to walgreen drug store or the dollar store and get a plastic turkey baster(large plastic thing that looks like an eye dropper, cost $2.00 the most... and fill it up with hot water and flush out the tube that the little funnel is pushed in to in the back of the ref. cabinet.. you can then see the water flowing down the tube and coming out the bottom into the drain pan..... the water you see under the drawers got there from flowing down the back inside of the cabinet... and stopped when it got to the bottom of cabinet.... its a pretty common problem.. gotta clean the funnel and tube out about every 6 months.. common maint.. or call a tech. and have them come out and make the money.....

Reply to
jim

I had the same problem and found the funnel thingie was deteriorated. I repaired it by gluing a 1/2" pvc elbow on the tube that takes the water down to the pan. Works just fine now.

Reply to
Who Me?

Sounds like you have a frost free unit with a clogged drain line. Time to call an appliance guy. Means taking the refrig apart, and then clearing the drain line. I've done a bunch of these, and I'm usually in and out in less than an hour.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is this a side-by side? Frigidaire SXS units have the water tank for the dispenser located behind the crispers, and I've seen these tanks crack, pouring water out any time anyone tries to get water.

Reply to
Mad Mac

I agree a plugged defrost water drain is the most likely cause followed by a leaking water dispenser reservoir as Mad Mac suggested. Condensation forming inside the fridge compartment on the ceiling and/or walls and shelves caused by leaking doors seals is another possibility.

You can read about what areas will need to be accessed on several different makes and designs of refrigerators for defrost drainage problems at the following link:

My fridge is leaking water, what might the problem be?

It may be at the very back mounted on top of the compressor to utilize the compressor's heat. It may not be visible from the front depending on how your fridge model was designed.

On *most* fridge designs water should never get there during normal operation so no drain should be necessary in that location. If it does get there, it indicates a problem somewhere which needs to be looked into.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

Dan O.