TV Studio shows - red lights on set ?

Noticed a lot of shows that have a stage now seem to have these circular reddish glowing lights around the sides and back. Looking more like heaters.

Curious as to what exactly they are, since I don't recall seeing them 20 years ago ?

Now I type, has the move to LED lighting prompted the need for extra heating ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Might have done - certasinly theatres which have fully converted to LEDs need less in the way of heat exhaust.

Reply to
charles

The latest lighting fad?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dunno, but they seem to be everywhere ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Can you give an example to look out for?

However, I doubt they'd show heaters unless part of the 'plot'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nice example in the background here:

Slightly different look here:

One more for good measure:

Jethro_uk

I'm guessing the OP is thinking of those huge searchlights that are more for decoration than illumination.

Possibly something like this:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

go to the D-Day programm on BBC1. All round the "blow up" stage.

Reply to
charles

Ah, now I understand. I thought you were meaning pure red lights as in the colour of traffic lights or car brake lights. These are incandescent "white" lights with a warmer colour temperature than the lights used to illuminate the set.

I have no idea what the significance of the fad is. The first one is a theatrical lamp, complete with barn doors to restrict the beam of light. The other two don't even have that vague relevance to a stage setting.

Reply to
NY

Decorating.

The next look will be steampunk.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That is a pretty standard studio hard source light - the barn doors being the give away. It is run right down on its dimmer and just used as a pretty prop. It's not really doing any lighting as such. It is 'red' like any other tungsten lamp dimmed right down.

Also looks like it is a background pic keyed into place, by the blue fringing round the artist's head and shoulders. Spill from a blue screen. Or just very odd back lighting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - all just set dressing. No practical use involved.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It looks more like back lighting with a blue light rather than poor Chromakey, though I suppose if he was very close to a blue screen or it was very brightly over-lit, you might get spill.

As a matter of interest, why is it that they used to use blue backgrounds and keying for Chromakey but nowadays almost always use green? I thought that blue was chosen because it was the least likely primary to be contained in the foreground subject, and the most diammetrically opposite to flesh tones which are the absolute worst thing that they want to cause false triggering.

Reply to
NY

The use of blue was a throw back to 'film chromakey', which I think was the easiest colour to separate out in that process.

Green is chosen for contemporary video chromakey, because it constitutes a higher proportion of the signal, requires less illumination, and therefore generates a better 'mask'.

Reply to
Mark Carver

I was told in BBC training that blue was chosen from RGB because there was less of it in flesh tones. So gave the best separation to faces.

I thought green was the original colour used in proper film?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought the film had used green (or in some cases, sodium yellow) for along time as the matte-out colour, and that TV had gradually changed from blue to green as so to fall into line with film practice.

Reply to
NY