Halogen / LED bulbs

I've a strip light in the kitchen containing 3 Halogen bulbs.

290 lumens / 50W. One blew the other day, but I had a spare. GU10. They get very hot and I've never been comfortable with this. So I've decided to buy LEDs. Questions are: What LED is compatible with the above on Watts? When the next Halogen fails, will I do any harm by replacing with a LED?
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

For equivalent light output - probably 6-8W, but look at what the manufacturer's blurb says (and maybe go up a notch). Make sure you choose "warm white". You can't do any harm with the change.

Reply to
nothanks

I swapped out 3 x 40W halogen for 3 x LED and the person whose bedroom it was didn't notice. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

LEDS give about 80 to 100 lumens per watt. For spots do check on the beamwidth of whats in and/or what you require especially in situations where you dont have several lamps with overlapping beams. As you get older the more light the better so I would be going for

5-8watt LEDs.
Reply to
Robert

I would say a 5W would probably do. But watch out for some of the cheaper brands as they have a narrow beam width.

Reply to
ARW

When I swapped the ones in my parents kitchen 2 years ago I swapped half, turned the lights on and asked them which ones I had swapped.

They were 2700K 5W LEDs I had fitted to replace 50W halogens.

They could not tell which ones I had swapped.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks to all that have replied. I destroyed the last kitchen light fitting as I could not accept that the bulbs did not had a spring under them. The late Mrs Pounder was sent out to buy a replacement, she came back with the same thing! Different wiring of course and I'm not a spark. I have the sucker to remove the blown bulbs and to replace them. I came close to breaking my stupid neck up those step ladders. Getting too old for this sort of shit.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Make sure it says 120deg spread. Something like this:

Reply to
Tim Streater

As others have pointed out, there are issues with the amount of light a led produces when compared to a halogen, and, with spots, the beam angle. These are immediately obvious.

But there might be something else to consider which will take time to show, and that is using a led in a fitting designed to run hot with a halogen bulb. Even with the lower output of a led, if the fitting isn't ventilated and the heat builds up, the bulb may well overheat and eventually fail. This effect doesn't seem prevalent with GU10s, but seems more frequent with G9s.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thanks. Page is saved.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

We have 4000K for work areas and like them. I wouldn't dream of telling people they /must/ do likewise. But sometimes change is good.

Reply to
Robin

Another problem is that few LED GU10s don't quite conform to exactly the same outline as Halogen ones and so they won't quite fit some fittings - most seem okay though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Assuming the supply requirements are the same and all of that techy stuff, the only differences should be in the colour of the light and its directivity. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff