Halogen / LED bulbs

I've a strip light in the kitchen containing 3 Halogen bulbs. 290 lumens / 50W. One blew the other day, but I had a spare. GU10. They get very hot and I've never been comfortable with this. So I've decided to buy LEDs. Questions are: What LED is compatible with the above on Watts? When the next Halogen fails, will I do any harm by replacing with a LED?
On 09/06/2019 10:39, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

For equivalent light output - probably 6-8W, but look at what the manufacturer's blurb says (and maybe go up a notch). Make sure you choose "warm white". You can't do any harm with the change.
On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 11:39:26 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

I swapped out 3 x 40W halogen for 3 x LED and the person whose bedroom it was didn't notice. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 09/06/2019 12:00, T i m wrote:

LEDS give about 80 to 100 lumens per watt. For spots do check on the beamwidth of whats in and/or what you require especially in situations where you dont have several lamps with overlapping beams. As you get older the more light the better so I would be going for 5-8watt LEDs.
On 09/06/2019 12:00, T i m wrote:

When I swapped the ones in my parents kitchen 2 years ago I swapped half, turned the lights on and asked them which ones I had swapped.
They were 2700K 5W LEDs I had fitted to replace 50W halogens.
They could not tell which ones I had swapped.
--
Adam

On 09/06/2019 11:39, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

We have 4000K for work areas and like them. I wouldn't dream of telling people they /must/ do likewise. But sometimes change is good.
--
Robin
Assuming the supply requirements are the same and all of that techy stuff, the only differences should be in the colour of the light and its directivity. Brian
On 09/06/2019 10:39, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I would say a 5W would probably do. But watch out for some of the cheaper brands as they have a narrow beam width.
--
Adam

Make sure it says 120deg spread. Something like this:
<https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-spotlights/gu10-led/gu10-6w-50 0-lumens.html>
--
"... you must remember that if you're trying to propagate a creed of
poverty, gentleness and tolerance, you need a very rich, powerful,
Tim Streater wrote:

Thanks. Page is saved.
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Thanks to all that have replied. I destroyed the last kitchen light fitting as I could not accept that the bulbs did not had a spring under them. The late Mrs Pounder was sent out to buy a replacement, she came back with the same thing! Different wiring of course and I'm not a spark. I have the sucker to remove the blown bulbs and to replace them. I came close to breaking my stupid neck up those step ladders. Getting too old for this sort of shit.
On 09/06/19 10:39, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As others have pointed out, there are issues with the amount of light a led produces when compared to a halogen, and, with spots, the beam angle. These are immediately obvious.
But there might be something else to consider which will take time to show, and that is using a led in a fitting designed to run hot with a halogen bulb. Even with the lower output of a led, if the fitting isn't ventilated and the heat builds up, the bulb may well overheat and eventually fail. This effect doesn't seem prevalent with GU10s, but seems more frequent with G9s.
--

Jeff

Jeff Layman wrote:

Taa.
On 09/06/2019 19:14, Jeff Layman wrote:

Another problem is that few LED GU10s don't quite conform to exactly the same outline as Halogen ones and so they won't quite fit some fittings - most seem okay though.
SteveW