Bonding Back Boxes

I am going to be fitting a number of sockets and in the past I have simply used a sleeved length of the CPC from 2.5 T&E for the bond. I find making the connections a bit of a faff with the sleeving sliding about so I am considering using some green/yellow conduit wire. With the cost being just a few quid for 10m it seems justifiable for the number of sockets I will be wiring and the preservation of my sanity. My question is there a specification for the bonding wire cross-section? I cannot find anything in the wiki which generally seems vague on bonding wire cross-section s.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Assuming you are talking ring mains and lighting - not cookers etc - 1.5mm is the one. Cut lengths can be expensive - a full reel might be better value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wonder if the UK will ever follow Ireland and use T&E with an insulated (full cross-section) earth?

Andy Burns

Thanks Dave, Screwfix do 25m of yellow/green 1.5mm2 for £4.99 which is more than I am likely to use so will go with that to make life easier.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I don't know if you have to use the same size as the circuit wires when using conduit wire? IIRC the reduced cpc size is permitted for twin and earth flat PVC cable but not necessarily for others.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I thought one of the points of *not* insulating the earth is that if you put a nail or screw through the insulation of the live you are very likely to short to the uninsulated earth. (It is possible, though not so likely, to "nick" the live from the "outside"). Certainly it is harder to sever the live without shorting to earth.

Reply to
newshound

You do not have to use the same size earth as the line conductors although people often do.

Reply to
ARW

Strictly speaking you could 1.5mm for bonding the back box on a cooker circuit as long as it passes the adiabatic check.

Reply to
ARW

Ah - right. I've got a reel of 2.5mm so need to get it used up. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It does rather sound like a legislator getting involved without actually understanding the engineering. It *might* make the installer's job a little quicker, but at the expense of greater material cost and environmental impact, and for no obvious technical benefit I can see.

Reply to
John Rumm

A reel? About 4 inches is needed.

Reply to
ARW

Quite. Had it a long time. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could probably make do with three, but four gives more wiggle room.

Owai

Reply to
spuorgelgoog