LED GU10 bulbs from Hong Kong?

I have quite a few 50W GU10 spotlights in my house. A couple have recently died and I want to replace these with energy saving LED GU10's.

These bulbs consist of 60 small leds that consume 5W maximum but give out the equivalent of a 50W bulb.

The only source that supplies the 60 led type is an Ebay seller in Hong Kong.

He states the bulbs are 220V. My question is will these bulbs work on a UK electrical supply ?

Thanks

Reply to
The Purist

Use the highest power GU10 compact fluorescent you can find. Ignore the quoted equivalent power rating claim, and just assume the equivalent filament lamp output will be about 4 times the compact fluorescent power consumption. Beam pattern will be different though.

Which is of course complete rubbish. Even the highest efficiency most expensive white LEDs available don't come close to that bogus claim.

Roughly speaking, white LEDs which you are likely to find in light bulbs are about the same efficency as 12V halogen lamps (which are more efficient than mains halogen lamps). So a 5W LED lamp will give about same light output as 5 Watts worth of 12V halogen lighting, and with a following wind, possibly 10W of mains halogen lighting.

LED lamps of this size are limited to only a small number of Watts because they quickly fail if they get hot, and at anything more than around 5W, they will get hot enough to wreck the LEDs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok, will do, thanks for your advise.

Reply to
The Purist

In message , The Purist wrote

You may be disappointed with the light output and the colour temperature.

I have something similar in 'warm white', around 40 LEDs, 3W. It was purchased for a porch light and it suits this application well. I would not use it for main room lighting

Reply to
Alan

Something doesn't quite work out here. It's usual to drive bright LEDs at about 30 mA which makes 1.8 amps for 60. Assuming a 12 volt supply that makes it 21 watts. I'd just about believe LEDs might be twice as efficient as incandescent, but not 10 times. And all the ones I've seen have been a truly horrible colour which I wouldn't give house room to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, you could run them in a number of series chains. Probably 20 chains of 3 LEDs each @ 20mA.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IIRC they are...something like 10% as opposed to 1%...

And all the ones I've seen have been a

That is of course a thought...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher