Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Robert Neville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

states are working on GPS-systems to tax electric cars by mileage driven,and the system will of course extend also to gas and diesel autos.

TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Robert Neville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

GPS-transponders that record your in-state mileage driven. Periodically,you have the car's "black box" downloaded and get mailed a bill.

several states are testing such devices right now.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Both of those applications are far different than Big Brother watching.

Reply to
krw

I was taught to pull out into the intersection and keep wheels straight (so some numbskull hitting you in the rear doesn't push you into oncoming traffic). Once in the intersection, you owned it. *ENTERING* on a red-light was a no-no.

The opposite of my DE.

Worse are the people who drive in (serial) right turn lanes - and pass on the right. Many places around here share a left-turn (suicide) lane.

Reply to
krw

Traffic laws vary from state to state and evolve over time. I was tought the same thing, but in my current state, the law is to not enter the intersection unless you can clear it for the reasons the OP cited. Some locations use a red-X "clearway" design to indicate the same thing for through traffic.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I've seen it to when I lived in PA. I've also seen the sticker replaced with poster board, trading stamps, and most anything that was the right color for the period.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers or tags on the license plate. Too many plates (including one of mine) were being stolen for the little tags.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right now, it is a benefit of going electric, but states are considering methods of taxation. One method is to report miles every year. If thee is a state inspection of any sort, that is not hard to do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license plates once. Got pulled over the same day that I discovered it (and actually on my way home from my then-girlfriend's parents' house, in whose driveway I noticed the missing sticker, and it was a Sunday, so I had no choice but to drive home in the car with the missing sticker) :/ Cop was a jerk because I had my registration card in the car, I came up clean in the system, and you could even see a little corner of the sticker remaining on the plate, so it was obvious that I wasn't a deliberate scofflaw but a victim of theft, but I still had to sit at the side of the road for about 45 minutes before he decided to give me a ticket anyway. Grr. Of course this was in Ohio where the cops are notoriously hardasses.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Same here. Right or wrong, if you don't enter the intersection, and perhaps the car behind you right on your bumper, you'd never make the left in some cases. It is a matter or survival, regardless of the rules.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure, but again, the natives *will* get restless when you hand them a bill for $thousands. It's much easier to take it out $.40 at a ding.

Reply to
krw

I most always pull into the intersection when waiting to make a left turn on a green light. If you wait behind the white line it may take a few cycles of the traffic light until one car can go, or at a very busy intersection you may never get the chance to go. It was very common to do up in PA, but down here in TN not many people do it... takes forever for traffic to flow that way. I pull into the intersections (to wait for my chance to make a left turn) in front of police all the time and so far no tickets.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

When we had that problem in my state, the publicized circumvention was to score the sticker several times with a razor blade. The thief would then have to remove many pieces.

We've since gone to driver's side front windshield stickers.

Reply to
HeyBub

The windshield stickers I'm familiar with are pretty flimsy already. Windshield replacement techs can transfer them about 50% of the time but they have advantages the normal perp doesn't.

Reply to
krw

The plate stickers here in Ontario (Canada) are designed such that they can't be peeled off without breaking up badly once they've been applied to the plate. They're usually just applied over-top the old sticker.

It's easier to print a fake sticker on a color ink jet than to steal one if you ask me.

Reply to
Home Guy

Wow, what a jerk. I got pulled over one day and had no idea why. Seems like the sticker was missing on my plate a few years ago. Turns out, it had been missing for over a year. The new sticker came in the mail and it was bad weather so I put it aside. He wrote up a warning and I was on my way. Found the sticker and put it on that night.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do they check often? I don't know of anyone that ever has been caught around here. Of course, we buy a lot more fuel oil than other states so filling a tank is less likely to set off alarms.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ours are difficult also but can be done with a razor blade especially if there is an old one or two under it. They are also reflective so they are a little difficult to reproduce.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Eh, some of them can be transferred, some can't. I remember my dad had to get a new windshield in his old Chevy truck years ago, and the tech actually cut that piece of the old windshield out and he had to leave it on the dashboard until the next inspection interval rolled around (this was in PA, at the time as I recall you had both an inspection and a truck weight class sticker.) The Virginia inspection and county stickers transfer though. In fact, the glue on the VA ones is so weak that they start looking pretty shabby a couple months before the inspection is due, especially if the car is parked outside so that you get condensation on the inside of the windshield...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They won't get anywhere with a lawsuit. The feds or state govt just need to say that they are encouraging use of electric vehicles by not subjecting them to the equivalent of a fuels tax. If they can give you a $12,000 tax credit for buying one, they surely don't have to put a road tax on it either.

Reply to
trader4