Debug advice Kenmore coldspot 106-59422801 stopped refrigerating

Actually, I don't think that you did. You probably meant to, but were too pissed from his ignoring you.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

From the ad:

The 3 n' 1 Start Relay adds new life to old refrigerators and freezers by providing an additional boost to the compressor. 1/4 and 1/3 Horsepower a.. 115-230VAC

So it looks like they are the same.

And no, never used one. Stuck compressors are very rare. Most of the time the windings overheat and short. The arcing produces acids that ruin the compressor.

But for $16 why not give it a try?

Can you take some more pictures of the start relay? Can you open the start relay for inspection? It looks like it just snaps together.

Reply to
tom

Think I remember at least one reminder. Well, moot point. He's gone so far afield on so many directions, there's no contacting him, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

You mean this?

Danny D.

"not found" is what the web page says.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I added a g to the end of the URL, and got a picture. I can't comment on that, until you answer my question.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was wondering what his suggestion had been. He kept saying I was ignoring him, but I never saw (or remember seeing) his suggestion. Maybe it's there. Probably is.

Anyway, as a Hail Mary play, I tried the Supco RC0410 1/4-to-1/3 HP 120VAC "3n1 Start" Solid State Relay Overload Start Capacitor Combination (6.8A Maximum Continuous Amps):

  1. It easily hooked up to the refrigerator, and, in fact, was far easier than making the test jig (so, in hindsight, forget the test jig - just hook up one of these 3n1 Start combos):

Good news and bad news.

A. The first time I connected it, the compressor RAN! B. The second time I connected it, the compressor kicked off after 20 seconds (and the power cord got hot).

When it was running, the Ammeter read 1.5Amps!

I let it run for about two minutes, and I could feel the output (thin) discharge tubing getting hot to the touch. The input tubing didn't get a chance to change temperature.

I told the wife it worked, so I unplugged it to show her that it starts up, and guess what?

The second time I plugged it in, the overload kicked in after 20 seconds, and the cord got noticably hot.

If I was confused before - I'm doubly confused now.

I'm gonna let it cool down a bit,

Reply to
Danny D.

I think I tried *every* suggestion ever made in this thread.

Here's yours, but I don't remember it being suggested until today.

Danny D.

Funny thing is that the Sears country-wide prices are *far* (far!) lower than the prices at the local appliance shops here in the Silicon Valley!

The run cap is $17.39 in that Sears USA parts diagram, but at the local San Jose parts stores, it was between $45 and $65 for those who had it in stock.

Interestingly, the relay is $45.17 in that Sears US diagram, and it was about $60 to $75 at the local parts stores that had it in stock.

Meanwhile, the Supco RC0410 1/4-to-1/3 HP 120VAC "3n1 Start" Solid State Relay Overload Start Capacitor Combination should be around $10, but I paid $29.50 for it at the local Appliance Parts Store.

What do you make of this? a. The first time I plugged in the RC0410, the compressor started! b. After about two minutes, I wanted to show teh wife, and, in her presence, the second time I plugged it in, it overheated and turned off.

Heh heh. It "is" more. In San Jose at least. I paid $29.50 for it today.

Ah, but what if the compressor starts the first time, and then fails to start the second time?

I'll try to get a video of this - but I am waiting for it to cool down (and for the wife to go to bed so she doesn't influence the test results).

Danny D.

On 7/12/2016 10:56 PM, Danny D. wrote: ...

That's fantastic!

Refrigerators and AC's need to rest before being restarted. I think that the pressures in the system have to equalize, so that the compressor is not trying to start against too large a "head".

Normally this happens because when the thermostat turns it off, it's a while before the thermostat tells it to turn on again.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I asked two Appliance Parts Stores, and they agree that they're one and teh same, so, the guy who said that they're not in that thread must be wrong:

It worked the first time! Then it failed the second time. :(

I'm more confused now than ever, but I will try again after it cools down.

Actually, it was $29.50 here in San Jose:

Danny D.

Thanks for answering so quickly, as I had egg all over my face after telling the wife that I was a veritable genius and that I fixed it for less than thirty bucks!

I'll let it cool down, and plug it back in, with the ammeter connected, and check the current. If it starts, I'll leave it running for a few hours!

I must admit - the information is conflicting - so I'm confused. Very confused.

a. The old equipment tested good (as far as I could tell) b. The jumper rig should have bypassed the relay (but not the OEM cap) c. All this 3n1 "hard-start kit" did was replace those two things

Maybe it's a "bigger" capacitor?

There's no mention on the package of how big the cap is, but physically, the combination unit is far beefier than the OEM unit. So I dunno...

Do you think it could be as simple as the compressor just needed a "beefier" cap?

Why would it need a beefier cap?

Reply to
Danny D.

Ooops. Mea culpa. Sorry about that missing "g".

It should have been:

Ummmmm... what question?

But I have a question for you. How do you respond so quickly?

I have to sit down at the computer to even see a message, so, I don't see them in real time. Do you have something that goes to your phone?

Reply to
Danny D.

On 7/12/2016 11:16 PM, Danny D. wrote: ...

A more-capacitance cap would have a lower impedance and allow more current to flow. More current in a motor means more torque.

There is still the possibility that the original cap is defective. That the parts-place check did not measure capacitance, or if it did, it wrongly concluded that the capacitance that it measured was the needed value.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Also, IIRC, users' manuals for AC's say to wait 3 minutes before trying to restart.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You never answered my question, and I never made any suggestions what to do. Other than suggesting you answer my question so we can move on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Coincidence. I'm on the east coast, and spend a bit of time on the computer in the evenings.

What question? I only asked twice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not that Danny reads my posts, you see.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As others have said you must let it set for about 20 minutes for the pressure between the high side and the suction side to equalize. Also, if the kit uses a PTC starter, that also must cool down to room temperature.

Reply to
tom