Collision detection

I'm surrounded by idiots - Albert Einstein.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No he does, wrecks of cars.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They take a lot more space and work a lot worse. They are dangerous and require two exits at each junction instead of one. You are having the driver make the decision about which exit to take whilst still on the freeway, at speed, instead of off the freeway at a slower speed, a safer procedure. You are mixing up entering and leaving traffic.

Rubbish signage doesn't help.

Reply to
Tim Streater

[22 lines snipped]

Which one? Given that you are (apparently) in Canada, and I'm in the UK, I doubt you mean the Gravelly Hill Interchange, which is the one I'm familiar with (and allegedly the first to be so named);

There are lots of them;

Even Canada has nine.

Reply to
Huge

In fact they do, being bright point sources of light. They are at their most irritating near dusk, before people start using headlights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

IoW, the exact time that they are designed for.

If DRLs dazzle you, see your optometrist.

Reply to
Huge

No, but our signage is pretty darn good - and when travelling unfamiliar roads a GOOD GPS with lane guideance can make all the difference - shows EXACTLY what lane you should be in.

Doesn't help those who can't or won't follow directions (or can't read signs)

Reply to
clare

Try that with 16 lanes of traffic instead of 8 - - - -

Reply to
clare

They are so unabtrusive if properly implemented that you only "notice" them when they are not working. I've been a "day-lighter" for almost 50 years - LONG before DRLs became common or manditory. When I drove motorcycle I always drove with lights on as well - LONG before it became common.

Reply to
clare

sadly they don't cater for the idiot who totally believes his/her satnav and ignore road signs like "STOP".

Reply to
charles

I don't get (or have forgotten) your point. I've regularly driven I95 between Philadelphia and Boston and don't recall anything special. That's

16 lanes in places.
Reply to
Huge

Clare, I laugh when I see all these comments. Drivers seem to panic when they think they messed up and are going the wrong way. In the US there is always a mall or traffic light or store or place to turn around. What's an extra 15 min or so? I'd take a pee or get a burger at a fast food place and resume my corrected trip. I'd never see any skeletons in hulks along the road... Like you state the GPS is wonderful and if you mess up it will fix it. Sometimes it's an even more enjoyable drive.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Motorcyclists are the ones that really hate DRLs, because motorcycles no longer stand out. why should every drivers attention be drawn to every car?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which DRLs? They range from 5 watts to 100 watts. For f*ck's sake you'd think they would have standardized them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The problem with "idiot-proof" is they keep coming up with dumber idiots.

Reply to
clare

My wife keeps reading about idiots driving into lakes etc following their GPS, and had absolutely no use for a GPS until our trip to Austria. She now reluctantly admits they can be useful.

I generally use it to tell me where I am, and occaisionally use it for routing. - particularly in unfamilliar highway interchange situations

Reply to
clare

The highways are not so bad, but a lot of cities in Europe have the street signs on the side of a building and not a pole. I won't go to Europe without the GPS.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I tested my VW Golf TDI 1.9 litre diesel automatic at 10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100mph. It got 58mpg from 10mph all the way to 55mph. Then it lost 5mpg per 10mph faster. Driving slowly doesn't hurt mileage if you use the right gear and go at a steady speed. Stop start at junctions obviously uses fuel (unless you have one of those utterly pointless hybrids that saves the same fuel by braking regeneration as it wastes by carrying heavy batteries).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Wat is it with streetnames in towns only being placed on one side?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The trouble with warning signs is they cry wolf. I often see "slow" signs on a very slight corner. Then I encounter a properly sharp corner with the same sign.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword