Whoops

Due to a slight tape measure miscalculation - today I drilled down through a Post Office ceiling and not into the store room at the back of the Post Office:-(
I did apologise to the woman in the queue that was stood under the drills exit point - she was covered in dust and bits of plaster.
--
Adam

On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:

I have thought about writing a book called 'Holes I have mis-drilled'.
Bill
On Friday, 15 January 2016 20:46:32 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

It's even more fun when you compound the error by filling the hole with expanding foam, forgetting that the foam going in is coming out next door.
Owain
On 15/01/2016 21:00, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Probably not as entertaining as my cousin refurbishing his first town house in Bath. There was a lump of bath stone sticking out of the kitchen wall and in the way. So he started pulling and wiggling it and sure enough it started to slide out. He was however getting a bit alarmed at the size of the thing when it finally came free, revealing his neighbour sat at his kitchen table, smoking his pipe, watching a bit of his kitchen wall slowly retreating! In a thick west country accent, he said: "Morning David, knows what you're doing do you?". Quick as a flash, Dave replies, "yup, don't worry I will be round to re-plaster your side later!"
--
Cheers,

John.

Next door house was having an aerial or dish or something installed. I wasn't paying much attention, but at one point a length of cable was pushed out through a hole at the top of the gable wall. Some 20 mins later more was pushed out - it dangled down to the ground. A bit later still, more had been pushed out as it formed quite a coil on the ground. When I looked out again, it had all gone!
Turned out, the installer had mounted the aerial (or whatever) on the opposite end gable wall, but somehow got lost in the loft and drilled out the wrong end of the house. Kept pushing more wire through the hole as he couldn't see where it was coming out!
--
Andrew Gabriel

Embarrassing :-)
I once put a 14mm SDS bit through an antique oak desk. I was drilling an equally well calculated hole through a wall and thought that it didn't feel quite right. The owner of the desk was remarkably calm about it.
--
Bill
( A different one )
On 15/01/2016 19:02, ARW wrote:

I hoped you blamed it all on an apprentice?
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:02:22 -0000, "ARW"

I once fitted a payphone on a pub wall, I put it right below a wall light for symmetry. There were five screw holes, one in each corner and the fifth top centre, I wish I hadn't used the latter.
Best thing was the electricians on site thought it was something they had done when the lights went out. Didn't suspect me.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I was fitting something on the utility room wall for my parents, might have been a cupboard.
Marked it out etc. plugged a drill into the socket on the wall below and then drilled a hole right where the cable supplying it went....
Actually, I only just nicked the cable (sheath and insulation on one of the cores), but was still another job to do to sort it
--
Chris French

A friend of mine recently discovered that the party wall between his cottage and his neighbour was only one brick thick when he drilled through.
Richard
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 23:43:07 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky wrote:

A colleague did something similar, but it also involved the waste outlet from his washing machine!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I have done that as well.
--
Adam

On 16/01/2016 07:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Were they both deficient in the hearing department ?.
Single brick/block party walls are pretty well transparent to impact sound and even normal conversation.

My B-i-L was "udating" his 20's semi, by moving the bathroom from the ground floor and extending the kitchen. He was chasing a hole for a flush cooker point when suddenly the brick he was hitting moved fast and the neighbours said, through the hole "Would you take your brick out of our bath".
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Chris French wrote:

When I was younger before asbestos killed you I was cutting a hole through an asbestos cement wall with a circular saw for an air conditioner and I cut through all the power circuits going to the rear of the house finishing with the circuit the saw was connected to.

Did something similar when mounting a distribution board in a computer room. Put it high up by the door, deliberately straddling the vertical line from the light switch. I'd forgotten that when it came to drilling the centre mounting hole, but I sensed something strange when drilling through the plaster (which I always do with hammer mode off), which was the drill bit springing off the plastic capping, and I stopped before I'd gone through the capping.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 16/01/2016 10:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wanted and extra hole through a wall once that already had a phone wire passing through it. To be totally safe, I drilled the new one 2" to the side of the existing. I was disappointed to find when I looked at the other side of the wall, the drill had actually come out of the exiting hole, severing the wire in the process! Turns out the original hole was drilled at an angle.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Friday, 15 January 2016 23:22:46 UTC, Graham. wrote:

gh a

It is amazing how soon and perfectly indelible the rictus of oh dear hits t he instrument of grinnage with an electric current. Working beside a lad wh o found the wiring, I was rather surprised to see him disappearing quickly behind me -yet I can vividly remember the look on his face, all these deca des later.

Talking of Pubs those who remember the Bristol of the late1970's or watched the scenery in the TV series Shoestring may remember a Lightship converted to a floating bar.
I was told that one of the brewery fitters fitting out the beer storage area forgot he wasn't in a pub cellar and when encountering resistance after drilling into and through a bit of wood mounted on the "wall" just pushed a bit harder until he was reminded of the special circumstances of the job by water spurting in. Covert remedial action was immediately taken by pulling away the bit of wood and firmly whacking in a wooden spile intended to go in a beer cask shive that handily he usually had some of in his toolkit,still there when the place closed down apparently. G.Harman
ARW wrote:

And after the criticism you have publicly given to your various apprentices here - what did they say to you Adam?
I could have a very good guess on that one. :-)
Cash