Collision detection

http://safedrivesystems.com/forward-collision-warning/
Is that why in Youtube "whoops he fucked up and crashed" videos, cars make silly "dong!" noises when crashing?
If the car's figured out it's going to crash, why waste time informing the driver with a silly noise, instead of just applying the brakes?!

I could have got it as an option on my Subaru but it is now standard on some Nissan's. This includes emergency.
Cited article says dings give 5 seconds extra reaction time. Most places here call for a 3 second rule which means following distance should be 3 seconds when you reach where the vehicle ahead was when you start counting. Here in Delaware the law calls for 4 seconds.
Very few people pay attention to this rule.
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5d2DP4Pp0

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

We don't have drum brakes anymore. And we all have ABS.
--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.

On 10/4/2017 7:03 PM, Frank wrote:

On Chicago area expressways, a 3-second following distance is an invitation for a car to cut in front of you and fill the void.
Five-second following distance and a gravel hauler (spilling gravel) will cut in.   LOL

It's 2 seconds in the UK (I guess we think faster). I usually leave 0.5 seconds, or 0.25 seconds if the guy in front is pissing me off. How on earth can anyone take 2 seconds to react? 2 seconds gap is very useful though for me to pull into.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - Ring dinge ding"

I had picked up this ruling when I last took an online defensive driving refresher course. Doing so results in 15% auto insurance cost reduction. The old rule was so many car lengths at certain speeds. We all know it takes 4 times as long to stop at double the speed so this rule makes it easy.
Like I said, few abide particularly on higher speed roads. I try to drive with the flow myself and know that leaving such distance is bound to get me cut off.

I can't believe people actually attempt to measure a distance or time while driving. The safe distance should come naturally, and changes according to your reaction time, the condition of your car, the weather, if you can see through the car in front [1], etc, etc.
[1] Why are windscreens not allowed to be tinted, or the driver's window, but you can tint the rest so the person behind can't see a hazard in front of you?
--
An Ohio teen has pleaded innocent to stealing his mother's credit card to pay for a friend's breast enlargement surgery.
Police say it's lucky they caught the guy quickly; otherwise, it may have turned into a bigger bust.
On 05/10/17 15:10, Frank wrote:

4 times the distance. Twice as long.
Don't they teach the calculus any more for O level?
..I'd spend it on drink.

Maybe he meant long as in length of road? :-)
Anyway, nobody should be doing calculus while driving, they should use gut instinct, it's far faster.
--
Peter is listening to "Who's the best - DJ Mad Dog feat. Tommyknocker"

I did and misstated. It was not relevant to reaction time. Point is it is much easier to measure time before you would reach where the other vehicle is than remembering so many car lengths at various speeds.
Times I might need calculus, I don't remember any of it and I had a technical career. Never needed it.

It's easier just to use you judgement to know how far back you should be.

You don't need calculus for the above.
--
U2's on-tour sound system weighs 30 tons.

I know. Just a comment.

[32 lines snipped]

Nor me. They're talking shite.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 59th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

It happens to someone, because if I see a "safety gap", I go into it.
--
We cannot see the future.
We cannot change the past.

Precisely. Not that the egotists posting here have thought of that. Or indeed, much of anything, other than the overwhelming desire to get in front of the person in front of them, skipping over the fact that there's someone in front of them, too, for mile after mile after mile. Driving on the public highway is not a race, not a contest. The only thing you gain by driving like a dick is the scorn of those around you. If you want to drive like that, go racing. Where you will promptly discover that you can't drive for shit.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 59th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

What a load of shite you post. I can get from Central Scotland to London 2 hours sooner than a driver who obeys the law.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

You'll be the first one to the scene of the accident too.

Accidents happen due to lack of attention or lack of skill, nothing to do with speed.
--
You've heard of "Virgin Wool from New Zealand?"
It's a myth.

Clearly you've never driven on the M25. Lane discipline went out the window years ago and undertaking is the norm in the rush hour.

I'm sure there's logic in there somewhere but I'm buggered if I can figure it out. Are you saying tailgating makes the person in front slow down? Err no, it doesn't. Not unless they're obnoxious old men who want to make a point.

Meanwhile someone just went up the inside passing those 10 cars and pulled in a gap in front of them. You think I'm exaggerating? Try the M40 to the M1 section of the M25 during the evening rush. Its an eye opener.