Buying a kitchen faucet (online?)

I'm wondering about good places to buy something like (exactly!) a kitchen faucet online. My almost 100 year old house has a wall-mounted faucet over a double porcelain sink, but I've been growing increasingly aware of how preferable it would be to have one with a spigot with a longer reach (my aching back tells me that!). The current one is 5.5" from end to end, and I figure that a 10" reach would be about perfect (it's hard to know without installing it and using it, though).

I went around to about all of the local B&M places I can think of and found a few candidates:

One that looks about perfect, but is $250 + tax. Ceramic cartridges. It's the only one I found that's within 2.5" of 10 inches spigot length!

One with a spigot that is 12.5 inches long, and I'm afraid it's really too long but wouldn't know without living with it for a bit. $50+tax. Old style washers, made in Taiwan or China.

There's some others, but the ones above are at the top of the list.

Since I had my water main replaced this year, I think I can get along with ceramic cartridges, so that would be a plus.

Before I spring for one of the ones described, I figured I should try to find something better online. I'd appreciate comments and/or links. Thanks.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Warning, the Chinese stuff is crap, and even worse. I made the mistake of buying a cheap Chinese faucet for the kitchen, it froze up (wont pivot), the sprayer head began to leak, finish peeled, etc. And all this happened within about 3 weeks of use. Mine was around $45 in the aisle at Home Despot, I learned my lesson. "But it looked just like the Moen" I said to myself. A good faucet is around $250 for a Moen or Kohler, and they are worth it for the time/trouble it takes to install one.

Reply to
RickH

is where we got ours

Reply to
Rudy

I looked at the Pegasus faucets at HD. What little I could find about them had decent reviews. On a whim I went to eBay and did a search for the model I liked and found one for about half the HD price. It was advertised as new-in-the-box. Like Columbus, I took a chance. It has been installed for about six months now and I have no complaints.

BTW it replaced an eight year old Moen that was awful.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

: :I looked at the Pegasus faucets at HD. What little I could find about them :had decent reviews. :On a whim I went to eBay and did a search for the model I liked and found :one for about half the HD price. :It was advertised as new-in-the-box. :Like Columbus, I took a chance. :It has been installed for about six months now and I have no complaints. : :BTW it replaced an eight year old Moen that was awful. : :Charlie

Thanks. I found a Kingston on ebay. I don't like the handles, but the reach is about what I figure would work, 10". I've seen a lot of Kingston in various independent stores. They are made in Asia (China or Taiwan, I don't know which). I have no idea of the quality. I figure it can't be great but possibly OK. Here's the item I found:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

or