A/C problems

I am having a problem with A/C unit at home. WHen I cut it on it will come on and cool the house, but the thermostat temp does not go down causing the unit to run contstanly. Any ideas what the problem is????

Thanks

Reply to
shannonjafolis

on 8/10/2007 11:48 AM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Is the thermostat located where the cool air can reach it? Do you have a TV, or other heat producing item under, or close to, the thermostat?

Reply to
willshak

Bad thermostat ??

Reply to
JohnnyC

One thing you can check. Look behind the T-stat and see if there is a

*larger than necessary" hole for the wire. Hot air in the wall cavity can adversely affect the T-stat. Patch the hole so just the wire extends out the wall.

...2 cents...

-- Oren

Oren

If the thermostat doesn't go down with the room temp, then something is wrong with the thermostat. If it's electronic, try removing the batteries for an hour, make sure the batteries are good, and then retry. Some also have a reset button accessible from the back, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Not always. I have a thermostat that is mounted on the wall in my family room. The family room is heat zoned with the laundry room and 1/2 bath. In the winter, if I set the thermostat to 72º F and the room is 68º or so, the heat will not come on in that zone. Why? Because directly under the thermostat is the basement installed furnace in a utility room, and the ambient heat from the furnace rises up the wall behind the thermostat, warming the thermostat and getting its heat reading from the wall rather than the air in the room. I have to allow for this by raising the thermostat to a higher reading to warm the zone. The same would happen if you were to turn on a TV under the thermostat, especially the new Plasma TVs, or an incandescent or halogen table lamp, and you don't mount thermostats over baseboard heat sources.

Reply to
willshak

Were you trying to say that the THERMOMETER on the thermostat does not indicate that the temperature at that location decreases, so the thermostat keeps the AC running?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Did it ever work correctly? Can you turn the temperature setting up manually and shut the AC off? If the answer is yes to both then you may need a new thermostat.

Reply to
Meat Plow

YOu took the words out of my mouth (or made duplicate words).

Also, OP, do you mean that the room gets colder than you want it, than you feel you set it for?

Reply to
mm

You are so right. I have seen this for a number of years in the past.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Does the room actually get colder? Does the room get too cold?

Do you have central AC built into a furnace, or is the entire AC in the window, or in a wall?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bullshit, there are many cases where the answers to both questions are "yes", but the thermostat would not be the cause of the constant running.

Reply to
<kjpro

Check back in a week or so, as I just sent my crystal ball in for calibration.

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes your reply was bullshit that why it wasn&#39;t worth quoting.

heh

Reply to
Meat Plow

So you like posting inaccurate information...

Reply to
<kjpro

See how that works? More bullshit spews from you, I backhand you square in the mouth and it never makes it to mine and others screens. Pretty effective huh?

heh

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeah, if you&#39;re to ignorant to read the previous post.

What a clueless twit you must be...

Reply to
<kjpro

heh