Brand new 15 year old appliances question

My wife is looking at purchasing a brand new kitchen display unit. It includes wall/base cabinets, corian counter top, sink bowl, pantry cabinet, island, "garage" for toaster, can opener, etc. and a dishwasher and an electric smooth top stove/oven. It's a huge "L" shaped unit with top quality all oak cabinets. I forget the brand name, but she says it's one of the ones that's written up in all the Kitchen magazines. The price seems right, $4k. However, it is 15 years old. I'm guessing all the seals in the dishwasher are dried out, and I don't know what age could have done to the stove/oven. Any thoughts on this?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I'd pass.

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Reply to
EL

Ill bite (just curious mind you).. Why pass?

Reply to
Home and Deranged

The oils and acid on peoples hands is what eats through cabinets finish , making it soft, see if your finger nails can remove the finish around the knobs. Or if its soft and scrapes . The oven and cooktop should be ok , heat destroys them. The washer, all hoses should be replaced, it should be considered worthless in the price but may work.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sounds like a lot of money for something that's 15 years old? Would you pay that much for a 1988 automobile?

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Had a guy offer me over 30K for a Cuda we have...72...so..depending on the automobile, its worth whatever someone will pay...

Reply to
CBHvac

"CBHvac" wrote

I may be missing something but if all the cabinets for a full kitchen are oak, they alone are worth well over $4k, no?

The counter top and sink and fixtures should be in very usable condition. So throw the dishwasher if it proves to be needed and enjoy the very considerable savings compared to all new cabinets etc..

Reply to
Gary Slusser