Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

I have a four year old Maytag Quiet Series 300 dishwasher that has stopped working. I looked at it and found the ribbon cable to the front control panel had burnt traces. A front control panel costs $250 or more, and there is no guarantee it didn't take the control module out with it. Is there any hope for this thing? I'm thinking it's time to trash it and get a new one due to the cost of replacing the control panel.

Reply to
Zootal

You can get a new one for like $300.

Reply to
Mikepier

Zootal wrote the following:

There's a Fire Hazard recall on certain Maytag dishwashers.

willshak

Have you checked eBay?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Such is the state of our throw-away society... Parts and the labor to fix the appliance are usually more costly than simply buying a new appliance.

Reply to
mkirsch1

See if you can find any numbers that look like part numbers on the part. Take thiose numbers and the model number and do a little internet search. That front panel may not be $250.

Reply to
salty

So is the throw-away society the cuase or the result of these things?

Also, looking a part up on website that sells parts may give a part number.

Reply to
mm

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hpfrng$s0v$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yah - the only I found for my model is $200 :-(

Sigh...4 years, time to throw it away and buy another.

Anyone care to recommend a good dishwasher?

Reply to
Zootal

Dear Zoot, I've got an appliance parts company that sells to me. Give me a yell off line, or post your model number and serial, here. I'll drop a call, and let you knwo what I find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Zootal" wrote

Hi, while I have beaten the stats on appliances almost every time, most dishwashers are rated to last 7 years at best. Generally this is why purchasing a used one is not a good idea. Keep this in mind as you look to repair costs.

Stats here:

Hot Water heater: about 25 years old. One element probably bad, cost to repair due to parts alone supportable but skills not up to this on a gas unit. Also not at all energy efficient. Using it for now but getting equal of a 20G tank. Scheduled for replace vice repair. Tax credit this time.

Gas free standing oven- circa 1963. Replaced today. Bent dented sides from renters, chipped to hell and back porcelin (could not have left in place if sold house as was major ugly damage with missing bottom drawer even). Would if not have had renter damage been worth any cost for repair as was a solid unit. They just do not make them like that anymore. Unfortunately while the unit could be repaired to funtional, there was no way to replace all the stove top and 'backsplash' or side panels as it's too old. Cost to repair (fellow out of curiousity checked) was about 450$ because it needed some rare and hard to get fitting. New stove, tax credit again, 699$. Now I have 5 burners (grin) of which one can be converted to those spiffy grills if i want with a pretty simple add on kit.

Fridge- rated 12 years, renter damage. Still works although it looks like they got mad at it and hit it with a baseball bat and knawed on the seals. Got it in 1995. Missing all freezer shelves (wonder what they did with them?). Slated 'eventually' for replacement but no hurry.

Chest freezer: Old one often called 'Bertha Butt'. Commercial unit you could fit a full grown cow in if you folded their legs. Gifted to a church who does a local 'free kitchen'. Bought used for 20$ in 1997. Gifted in

2007. Estimated age 40.

Everything has a lifecyle, if you use the item gently it tends to last. But dishwashers seldom go a real long time past that.

Reply to
cshenk

You can get a new one for like $300.

===

We had to replace our OLD Kitchen Aid. We got a budget "G"enerally "E"xpectable. Now we have to wash the dishes before we put them in the dw.

Reply to
JimT

Shrug. My bottom-of-the-line GE generic does fine, running it maybe twice a week. Do you leave lots of food waste on the dishes and pans you put in there? Any dishwasher, best practice is, large waste goes in trash, and if you aren't going to run the DW right away, a quick rinse in the sink under running water. But it is far from washing them twice. I do the trash-can step because I'm on septic, and don't have a garbage disposal.

Reply to
aemeijers

september.org:

Buy one with a mechanical timer, there's much less to go wrong and there is a possibility of fixing it if something does go wrong. I HATE ELECTRONIC TIMERS!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

LOL....see above.

It always amuses me when my DVR goes out and I have to watch commercial. How do I survive? :-)

Reply to
JimT

Maytag used to be a good brand. We've had very good luck with Kitchen Aid. Present one is 5 years and still perfect, last one was pushing 20 years. The one before that was 15 years and we left it working in the house when we moved.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't believe there is more than a nickels worth of functional difference in any like-type appliances.

Everybody makes a piece of shit designed only to outlive the warranty, such as they are these days. I think I got a whopping 90 days on this last $2200 TV.

====

My Panasonic Viera has been going strong for over 6 years now. The picture is as good as the day I bought it. Outlasted every TV I've ever owned.

Reply to
JimT

Kitchen Aid still makes a good product but they don't make dw as well as when Hobart owned the co. The last tech I talked to recommend saving the money, buy a cheap GE and replace it when it goes out. I'm not aware of any brand that works as well as the old Kitchen Aids but they would probably be out of my price range anyway.

The OP would probably do well to consult Consumer Report.

Reply to
JimT

I've had well over a dozen CRT TVs. Once upon a time I kept 3 in one room, each tuned to a different news channel, and 1 in each of 3 baths.

Sold them all to buy bigger units after about 5 years, if I had to guess.

I've never had a TV fail until this antique Pioneer 50" projection started popping off in10 minutes after more than 10 years, and I've kept it going for more than 2 years by taking off the back and aiming a little fan to blow across the innards.

Something told me it was overheating...

Picture on it is still as good as I imagine I can remember it... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Again, shrug. One of my Trinitrons is 12 years old, the other maybe six? (bought it used). Both get heavy use, both still work perfectly. (Damn Sony quality- I can't justify buying flat-screens till these die.)

Reply to
aemeijers

As someone who feels that Sony is the best TV, and a used Sony is the second best TV, I have to tell you that the picture on a 12 year old Trinitron is NOTHING like the picture was when it was new. At 6 years the deterioration would be noticable in a side by side comparison with a new one.

Phosphors get tired.

Reply to
salty