Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

I think they get "toasted"!

(I've had Sony...my choice now is Samsung or Panasonic)

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

At least twice a month I see old Trinitrons being offered on Freecycle. Plenty of other perfectly good old CRTs also need new homes.

Reply to
dgk

I've had amazing success just typing a part number into google. When I take something apart, if the part has numbers on it, I just start by enter the part # into google and I'd say about 80% of the time you get hits and places selling it. And there can be a wide range of prices. On a de-humidifier fan motor I'm currently working on, you can get it at Sears parts for $28 or pay $95 at other parts stores.

I don't know how google manages to cull all that info. The most surprising thing I ever saw was when I was fixing my Sears snowblower. I put the Sears model number for the engine in google and among the hits it came back with, one was to an engine repair place. The Sears model # for the engine was buried in the back of an appendix for the complete Tecumseh repair manual for the engine, which was 130 pages long. Even more amazing, it was a PDF that I could download. But how google finds this, buried in the back of a 130 page PDF document amazes me. And also, you'd think it would take more storage than there is in the universe to catalog, index, and keep all that available on google.

Reply to
trader4

Actually, it's the electron guns that get tired. Years ago when I was in the TV repair business, rebuilt picture tubes were a very big business. I haven't seen a rebuilt picture tube in 20 years. It's my understanding that the only phosphors that would be replaced would be those in projector tubes because of the high output. I think there is only one picture tube rebuilding company left in The U.S. now.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A couple of years ago, I had a nice 27" Sony that I no longer needed. This was probably 3 or 4 years old. I put it out at the end of my driveway with the remote control and owners manual in a plastic bag on top. It was gone in less than an hour, and I'm sure it made someone very happy.

Reply to
salty

Yet, if Google tried to charge even 10 cents for that search result, the world would end in a ball of fire.

Reply to
salty

No, that is a different issue. The guns get coated, and you can get a little more life out of them by blowing that coating off with a burst of electricity to the cathodes. They call this "Picture Tube Rejuvenation. Once you do it, you are on a short schedule for replacement. Sometimes you could get as good a result by tapping on the neck of the tube to knock some of the cake off. You could actually see the crap flake off. They also used to sell something called a CRT brightner, which simply raised the voltage to the filiments. This also hastened ultimate failure. Often rejuvenation resulted in immediate failure. It's really a desperate move.

None of that will cure tired phosphors, which are simply less reactive then newer ones. The phosphors get tired and the picture quality suffers.

Reply to
salty

LOL...Here I can put almost anything on the curb and some moron will pick it up. Have you ever watched that show "American Pickers"? Some people will take just about anything.

Reply to
JimT

This was actually a very nice TV. I just didn't want the bother of trying to sell it. Probably could have gotten a couple hundred for it.

I've done the same with a few computer monitors and airconditioners. All in good shape, but no longer needed. They disappear very fast.

Reply to
salty

I don't doubt you. It just made me think of all the times I've put stuff on the curb on large pickup days and wondered why people would take the weirdest "trash" out of the pile before the city did their pickup. I know there are a few scrap metal guys because when I put my old completely worthless swimming pool heater out it was gone in a flash. No one could of possibly wanted it except for scrap. I was surprised when no one took my high flow toilet. I thought those would be of some value to someone.

Reply to
JimT

om...

e quoted text -

The old toilets bring good $$ if you can sell them, many places I have heard have now made it illegal to sell them. I put three bricks in the bottom of each of our three old-style toilets, kept the top water level the same so they initial rush of water is as much as always, and adjusted the flapper to close a little sooner. This cut water usage by about 1/3. Only hold the handle down until the tank totally drains when there is something that I am suspicious about flushing. Water bill does reflect this lower usage.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The old toilets bring good $$ if you can sell them, many places I have heard have now made it illegal to sell them. I put three bricks in the bottom of each of our three old-style toilets, kept the top water level the same so they initial rush of water is as much as always, and adjusted the flapper to close a little sooner. This cut water usage by about 1/3. Only hold the handle down until the tank totally drains when there is something that I am suspicious about flushing. Water bill does reflect this lower usage.

======

When you have a pool a couple more gallons don't make much difference.

Actually I replaced the commode for design reasons. The old one looked out of place.

The new new low flows work a lot better than the old low flows. I got Jacuzzis and they use a ridiculously low amount of water. The tank fills immediately, it seems. Work a lot better than I would imagine with a small amt of water.

Reply to
JimT

All I know is that their computers spend a lot of time making indexes, and I guess there is already an index on almost every word and number to be found. I haven't thought about it too much before, figuring I'm not as smart as they are, but it occurs to me that once the first set of indexes is made for every word other than the, an, a, and other they won't search for**, when a new page is found, they can just look up every word on that page and make one more entry on every index that already exists, and create a new index if they find any new words or numbers or number/letter combinatinos (which are probably all treated a like)

**Google and Yahoo won't search for "an" afaik, but including +an in search terms will exclude pages that would otherwise be hits. That's how I figure that works.

Maybe this accounts for some of it. There is also something about their secret alogorith, that is used to rank hits on what you would like to see first. One of the founders said, and the other would probably agree, that their goal is to get you just what you most have in mind, always, and indeed they are pretty good at it, but I don't think there is any way to do it with only the infomration provided these days. Because I myself wouldnt't know exactly what I want with only the information I can give it Still, they're good.

Reply to
mm

The guns are factory coated, the blaster makes a fresh surface because the old surface loses efficiency. The B&W and single color tube coating of phosphors can be renewed from what I've read. The color tubes have the three different color phosphors deposited on the faceplate before it is welded to the glass bell which would make it unlikely to be an economical prospect for re-coating. I used my Sencore picture tube tester many a time to add a little life to an old set along with all the little booster gadgets that were on the market 35 years ago. I miss those wonderful electric shocks I received from the horizontal output tubes when my elbow touched an anode cap. I'm much better now. BZZZZZ!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What I see happen with old TV sets and CRT computer monitors is the metal termites come along and smash the darn thing right there on the street then take the copper deflection coils for their scrap value. I see their messes in the gutter all over the city.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I explained it correctly and factually.

Reply to
salty

Well tell me, what do the guns get coated with during proper operation? I'm always open to learning new things because regardless of what I may think, I don't know everything. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Exhausted material from the cathode itself.

Often you can SEE the crap flake off of a badly encrusuted cathode if you tap on the neck of the tub sharply with a screwdriver handle while the tube is in operation.

*snicker*
Reply to
salty

Well, you have some nerve posting here!

Reply to
JimT

Yes, I know that folks harvest metals. One friend of mine, woke one day to find no running water. Someone had come in the cellar door. Shut off the main, and hack sawed all the copper loose, and stole it. The same person is one of the metal termites you mention. He harvests the copper coils from TV off the curb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon