Bosch dishwasher: strange behaviour of replacement controle module

I had the problem that's well documented on the WWW as "bosch dishwasher stuck on 1" or "stuck in drying cycle", and found the failed solder joint on one of the PCBs in the control module. Based on the comments that resoldering it is just a temporary solution, and on my lack of experience soldering PCBs, I decided to replace the control module. The dishwasher now works --- to some extent.
This model has the following controls on the door:
+------+ | | | 188 | | | O O O O +------+ +-----++-----++-----++-----++-----+ | || || || || | |delay|| auto|| eco ||quick||pre- | | || || || ||rinse| +-----++-----++-----++-----++-----+
"188" is the LED that shows the remaining time or the delay in hours; "O" marks the red LEDs to indicate the programme selected; and the remaining boxes are the buttons.
Previously, each button (other than delay) would select a programme and deselect anything else (so there's always exactly one red LED when it's set to run). The auto, eco, quick, & pre-rinse programmes took around 130, 140, 40, & 20 minutes (respectively) to run.
Since I replaced the control module, "quick" and "eco" are both taking about 2 hours, "pre-rinse" comes up with "27" on the display (but I haven't tried letting it run to see what it does), and the "auto" button toggles its LED without switching the other programme off (I haven't tried letting it run this way to see what happens). The delay timer works normally. In summary, the controller is behaving as if the dishwasher had a different set of options from the labels on the buttons. The "combination" functions for resetting a running programme, toggling intensive drying, and adjusting the water softener setting all work properly, using the same button combinations as before.
The part number on the box (SET-489607) is the right one for a large number of Bosch models including mine (SGS4468GB/35); I didn't have any trouble swapping the module in; and there aren't any plugs or sockets left over. I also opened the door back up and double-checked that all the plugs were properly plugged in and matched the digital photo I'd taken before taking the old module out (although I don't think they can be plugged in out of order anyway). The shop I ordered the part from (which also does repairs) said there isn't any procedure to set the module for a specific module.
Any suggestions?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Adam Funk wrote:

Are there any jumpers or programming steps to set it for your model I wonder?
That controller sounds like mine, which means there are some hidden programming steps availble via soem funky key presses that I'd have to look up - mostly things like water hardness, beeper on/off. Don't remember any setting for machine type. Which makes me wonder if there just might be some jumpers. I'm taking a wild guess - but it's because you said it fits a variety of models. I suspect it thinks the buttons are actually other functions for a different machine, which is giving you weird behaviour.
Did it come with any paperwork - or are there any jumpers visible on the module - or maybe a little rotary switch or a DIP switch bank?
--
Tim Watts

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2011-06-15, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes, mine has two settings (water hardness & extra drying) that you activate by holding down one of the programme buttons & pressing the power on, pressing the programme button to run through the option numbers, and turning the power off to save. They still work the same with the new module.

Yes, that's exactly right, as it turns out. After some run-around, I finally got the "Model coding" sheet (PDF) from Bosch, which explains the Vulcan nerve pinch sequences used to change the mapping between appliance programmes and buttons. You hold down *four* programme buttons and press the power on, then use one of the buttons to toggle through 5 combinations of programmes, and press the power off to save. Unfortunately one of those buttons is "extra" for my model and ends up behind the panel itself rather than one of the external pushers, so I'll have to take the front (or at least part of it) off, recode the control module with the power connected, and then put the panel back on.

There wasn't any relevant paperwork in the box, just a sheet (not applicable to my case) about cutting and splicing some wires for some other models.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.