Green stuff

What's the best green stuff to colour and (more importantly) preserve a wooden fence?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Snot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not swarfega?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

asparagus pee.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, OK! Swarfega-coloured paint? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Ronseal?

Also, best regardless of price (e.g. Sadolin) or best value for money?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The stuff they use on green coloured pressure treated timber.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I found Sadolin to be useless in Italy, the sun causes it to flake off in large sheets. Its accelerated ageing compared to the UK but indicates what will happen over time.

I would use Johnstones Shed and Fence paint, it has stood up well in the UK and in Italy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So the green one then:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just been using some of that myself - very pleasant to use.

Also, for the more 'architectural' woodwork, their Quick Dry Opaque Wood Finish. Unlike several other brands, it can be tinted to requirement and covers quite well.

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

preserve

Chromated copper arsenate, it works, its probably been banned.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My cheapskate neighbour uses a mixture of dieseline and old sump oil, with some green oil-based paint and some Metalex timber preservative (full of nasty stuff probably banned in the UK)

Reply to
Matty F

In message , geraldthehamster writes

In our old house I used Cuprinol Garden Wood Preserver (or possibly the equivalent about 8-9 years ago)

It's a spirit based one, rather than water based one which seems more about colouring something, than preserving.

In terms of colour it lasted pretty well IIRC. Preservative - TBH, weren't at the house really long enough after that to report back

Reply to
chris French

Not for timber buried is soil or subject to damp over extended periods.

Everything useful is banned. I can't find fly spray that works any more. I think current varieties are supposed to scare flies to death by making a hissing noise.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have been disposing of Wasps nests with some old (15 years) cat flea spray:-) Nuvan Top? Excellent results.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I buy mine in the USA. Possibly not an option available to all. I expect the airlines don't allow aerosols in luggage but I simply don't tell them.

Reply to
Huge

Is that 'cause of the risk of the arsenic leaching out or doesn't it work in the wet?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It does work, but not forever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

I came across this... url:

led to this... url:
plain Copper Oxide is surprisingly effective.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon