Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OH! You're referring to the barium deposits from the dispenser cathodes that can cause a reduction of the G1 aperture diameter as well as K/G1 spacing. Sencore never mentioned this in their literature. Their shtick was about the wearing out of the electron emitter surfaces themselves. The tube tester had a rejuvenation function that would blast the guns and you could see the sparkling through the neck of the picture tube.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, DUH, Dufas!

WTF do you think I have told you several times now?

Reply to
salty

The literature from Sencore called this exposing a fresh layer on the emitters not blowing off deposits. Anyhoo, everyone may call it something different.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Exposing a fresh layer by blowing off the dead stuff. Are you really having this much trouble wrapping your head around something so simple?

I would avoid getting too wrapped up in Sencore's "technical" information. Sencore was sort of the "Rent to Own" of the electronics world. Their main business was selling extremely over priced equipment to little mom & pop repair shops who couldn't qualify for a business loan to buy equipment. The Sencore stuff wasn't awful, but you could get MUCH better stuff for a lot less money.

The VA-65, as an example, was an easy to use device for general TV/video work, but couldn't even generate a genuine NTSC white window test pattern. Unfortunately, most service manual photographs of waveforms were made using a genuine NTSC white window pattern generator, so comparing what was in the manuals to what you were looking at on your Sencore was problematic.

The price of the VA-65, like all Sencore equipment, was absurd. If you wanted one, buying from someone going out of business was the way to go.

And scopes? You could buy 2 or 3, 100 MHz Hitachis with far better triggering, etc, for the price of a two channel 60Mhz Sencore scope.

Reply to
salty

But Sencore had the exclusive framistan electrode analyzer for color CRT tubes. No one else had such a product. I had new and used Sencore stuff that worked well and did the job. I wasn't sending rockets into outer space. Now I have HP scopes laying around along with other stuff I dreamed of owning. I recently fixed up some HP TDR units for a friend to sell on eBay. The things cost thousands of dollars way back when they were new but some folks still like to use them. The little chart recorders are so cute.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OOPS! I misspoke, the TDR units were Tektronix 1502's.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now, THAT is a Christmas tree!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It sounds like we have both may have worked on a few TV's at some point.

I actually worked more on commercial video and audio equipment, but there were always TV's as part of the mix, and I even went and got licensed for consumer electronics, (Radio/TV/Antenna) even though I really didn't need the license for what I was doing. I just figured it was a good thing to have.

Reply to
salty

Which license did you get? Me along with a bunch of guys I knew took a license course to help us ace our First Class FCC ticket more than 30 years ago. We were already working on radio stations and two way radio gear, the license just made us legal. The wacky guy giving the course had a favorite made up word to describe any mysterious, incomprehensible gadget. The word is "framistan" and I've been using it ever since. I have a whole story about the situations in which I use the word on "lay persons". *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Uh, I think Don Martin, from MAD magazine, coined that one....

I could be wrong, though.

Reply to
aemeijers

Oh man! Did I ever love Mad Magazine, Spy vs Spy was one of my favorite parts.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've had good luck and performance with Kenmore/Whirlpool and back luck with GE and poor performance with Maytag.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A note: I recently began experiencing performance reduced from my typical experience.

I called P&G relative to the simultaneous change in color (green/ white) of liquid Cascade=99 and was told it had recently been reformulated in compliance with federal regulations to eliminate phosphates.

Before I removed the DW and installed another cabinet I changed the setting to "High Temp Wash" (even though running the water at the sink until it is hot is my SOP, and I think it's pretty hot) and performance has been restored to its previous satisfactory level. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It's basically my state's version of a CET. Covers me as a tech and also as a dealer who employs techs. I think the test was written during either the Truman or Eisenhower administrations. If you didn't grow up working on tube equipment, the test would be a bit if a challenge. I hear they bought an updated test about 15 years ago that doesn't treat transistors as "new-fangled".

Reply to
salty

Jack Kamen, who was a founder and illustrator at Mad, was also the father of Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway.

Reply to
salty

So that's where Dean came up with that haircut. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

m...

Right now with everyone going LCD and flat screen some are giving perfectly good CRT TVs away, as the OP did. For the moment we'll stick with our used TV ($25) which we fixed for four dollars. It it all goes digital probably just give up TV and depend on the TV feeds we get via the internet!

Reply to
terry

My late paternal great uncle was an army lifer and was in the Army Signal Corp since they used two tin cans and a string. I got a lot of stuff from the crusty old master sergeant. You can imagine the tube stuff I got to play with as a kid. It's fun to fool around with tube gear every now and then but DANG it's gotten expensive. I remember when a horizontal output transistor was $35.00 and the tube was $5.00. Now the same transistor costs $1.00 or less and the darn tube is $50.00. At least the tube type equipment will work after an EM pulse.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Tue 06 Apr 2010 03:24:01p, cshenk told us...

My mom had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that was installed in 1956. It was still in good working and cosmetic condition in 1998 when the house was sold. You'e right, they don't make much of anything like they used to.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright