Dishwasher Maytag

Hello all,

I just wanted to give my opinion on a dishwasher in hopes it would help someone out.

ON 6-30-06 we bought a Maytag dishwasher at Sears. Model number 19432. The dishwasher was a closeout model that we got a good price on. We paid $449.99. It was normally just over $600. We also got the 5 year extended warranty.

Yesterday the service man came, for about the 10th time since we bought it. He told us that Maytag dishwashers need to be taken apart and cleaned out every 6 months or so of normal use. More if you are a heavy user washing a lot of dishes. His mother has one and he has to disassemble and clean it about every 6 months.

He also looked it up and we have just over $1,200 in repair calls on this dishwasher to date. Our extended service plan expires in 2011 and I can't imagine they will call to renew it.

Besides just plain not getting the dishes clean, after a few months usage, they have also replaced the pump and most on the internal parts. Screen, small spinning blade. When the electronic control panel went dead they also replaced that.

Also, all of the repairmen tell me that no matter what the brochures, sales people or commercials say, there is no garbage disposer in any dishwasher. In our Maytag it just amounts to a small piece of metal (maybe 3 inches) that spins around inside on top of a small flat piece of metal with holes drilled in it. Whatever the blade can shove through the holes is considered chopped. If the hot water can't turn this debri into mush, the blade won't 'chop' it. It may even damage the blade. The repairmen seem to agree that they wish the sales people would quit telling people anything different.

Anyway I hope this information helps someone out. I am sure that other people have had different results. In our case after the extended runs out we will probably replace the unit and try and get $50 or $100 for it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

you/re not supposed to put any food in the dishwasher. you have to rinse the dishes first. jezzus i thought everyone knew that.

Reply to
ythread

I agree with you, but there have been commercials showing people putting in all sorts of things (a whole cake, etc.) and then presto, sparkling clean dishes.

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is about six years old and still working fine. We've never had any problems with it....I do rinse off the dishes before loading them in the dishwasher even though the book that came with it says I don't have to .... I think it may just be the particular model you bought or you just got a lemon.

Reply to
Dottie

"h" wrote in news:g3u3j8$2uu$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Key word is "commercials". They can say almost anythig they want. It's up to you to disprove, in a court of law, at your expense, on your time.

Look at all the 19.95 + s&h shit on TV. They know it's BS. They CYA by money back guarantee. If you go through the trouble to get money back, they will refund it. Legal obligation fulfilled. They bank on volume. The number of refund claims is zip compared to volume sold. They bank on people just saying it's junk, throw it away and forget it. Cost of doing business. Proof: Billy Mays is a multi millionare.

Reply to
Red Green

Our 3 level version lasted a few years. It was junk but did a good job when it worked. Never needed cleaning of jets. But control panel and other stuff broke. I dumped it. Get a BOsch.

Reply to
Art

If you are using it as a garbage disposal, you are adding to the problems. Stop doing that. A one second rinse of the big stuff should solve the problem.

No doubt you have problems, such as the circuit board, but if every Maytag performed like yours, they'd be out of business in months.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our local appliance store says Bosch is a good machine, but they have more service calls than other brands he sells. Bought a Kitchen Aid. So far, so good. I wonder about any of them with all the electronics in them today.

Just bought a new gas range. One of the criteria was minimal electronics. Ours has none but the igniters, a light and convection fan.

We got the 30" in black.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

you have expensive taste

We had a kitchen aid in the house when we bought it it worked better than any d/w i've seen. So when it broke i went to get a new one but the repairman that looked at our old one said for the money GE was a better value. I guess kitchen aid isn't made by the same company anymore. He said they (KA) are still good but not what they used to be. He looked at our old one like it was a vintage dw. It did work better than the GE. But the GE was around $300. I could get 3 KAs for that price. So far I've had the GE for around 6 months with no problem . Quiet and does a reasonably good job. I really need quiet because my kitchen is open into the living room.

Reply to
ythread

There is marketing and then there is reality. Likely you (and everyone else) couldn't read the 2 paragraph tiny type disclaimer that was flashed on the bottom of the screen for 1 second that described how the demonstration was simulated etc...

Reply to
George

whole pot roasts

Reply to
ythread

on 6/26/2008 9:39 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:

And if you like Italian food, scrub off that Parmesano cheese that is stuck to the plate before you put it in the washer, else the plate will come out of the washer with clean Parmesano cheese stuck to it. :-)

Reply to
willshak

The Bosch my parents have had for 5 years has been flawless and cost $550. Almost silent.

Reply to
Art

"ythread" wrote in news:hrP8k.74863$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Corn on the cob...with the cob.

It would take Billy Mays to pitch that one.

Reply to
Red Green