Apple surveliance

Apple announces it will install software on your I-Phone to scan for objectionable content. What happened to that unbreakable Apple encryption? I guess there is a back door for Apple. I don't really have a dog in this fight, I am just curious how Apple fans feel. Android is probably next and I don't have one of them either.

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought that when Apple would not break the code the FBI got someone else to do it.

It slmost surprises me how dumb people can be. They seem to never learn not to put anything on a phone or computer they would not show at halftime at the Superbowl.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

depends on how you interpret this. Is this something for the user to use to find hidden software that could steal credit card information? Sort of like an anti-virus.

Or is it for Apple to do the scan and find objectionable content and turn you into law enforcement?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The slippery slope comes into play. The more you let invasions, the more they will be looking.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote

No it does not, because there is no way that Apple can ever search your house.

The more you let invasions, the

Problem is that Apple can't inspect your house even if they wanted to.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
gfretwell

That is right. Apple may not send anyone to your house to look around, but with all the electronic devices around they can hear lots of things and see some things. Even when you think it is off, it may be in the listen and watch mode. I have one of the Google devices in a a room and all I have to do is walk in and it knows who I am. It does have a switch that is suppose to turn off the audio and camera, but does it really ? No real way for me to tell.

It is in a room in the basement where nothing goes on but I do keep the sound and camera cut off unless I want to use that part of it.

My cell phone is seldom carried around the house as I still have a land line. It stays on and in a charger with the camera facing down and up to the celing. Also not because I think it will do anything,but it is next to the TV speaker so it gives them plenty to listen to :-) It is just a convienient place to charge it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Mine's usually in my pants pocket. The prospect of someone at Apple listening to some of my more spectacular farts gives me a certain amount of joy.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Wow, that is way up in "too much information". ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm an equal opportunity farter. If I'd butt-dialed Donald Trump, he'd get to enjoy the concert. (Not that this is a likely scenario.)

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Trivial to avoid it inspecting your house by putting it in a drawer or box etc.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

invalid unparseable

My IPhone is in a holster with both cameras clocked and a magnet that puts the phone to "sleep" - Siri can't even hear/respond as long as it is holstered. It is on;y "out" and "on" when I am using it

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 08:17:41 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

That's the spirit! Can you play a tune?

Reply to
Tekkie©

I've been working on Stars and Stripes Forever, but the "dogfight" in the middle is the only portion I can really play.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

My cell phone is usually off but when it is on, I admit I havent' taken any precautions.

My PC camera I turn off in Device Manager, and only turn it on for zoom sessions every few weeks. Sometimes Device manager says I have to restart the computer to turn the camera on, but I'm 99% sure, sometimes it doens't say that.

I also keep a cloth cover over it.

But last week I'd had a mole removed on the side of my face and had to apply an antibiotic 2 or 3 times a day for 3 days, and I needed a mirror to be able to find the right spot, So I relied on the cloth in beteen.

In place of a mirror I used a program called Camera, that's included in win10, I think, to look at myself. Somehow the picture was much more grainy than with zoom.

Reply to
micky

Have you never read Retired Business professional from Harvard Shoshana Zuboff's book "Surveillance Capitalism and Democracy?

The problem of Surveillance Capitalism is all that data flowing out the back of your phones you CAN'T know about and that corporations are making billion$ on?

And THAT'S why I do not have a cell phone!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Reply to
johnk...

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:41:56 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

Good one! When you succeed let us know where we can listen.

Reply to
Tekkie©