Subject Author Posted Replies

CFL's
With over 100 CFL's active in my home for the past 7 years, yesterday the 3rd failure ocurred. It was in the basement near the cat's litter boxes and stayed on 24/7. This is the 2nd failure of 24/7...
10
10

dishwasher water doesn't get hot
My dishes are not getting clean. The water is not getting hot. I opened the dishwasher during operation and found that the heating element was not hot and was not submerged. Shouldn't the heating...
6
6

CO detector
I bought one and it appeared to not properly work. In short, it was crap. I want one that will work. I have contacted our local fire dept that has agreed to test it, whichever brand it may be. But, it...
21
21

Switched outlet bypass for lamp
My bedroom has half of every duplex outlet switched. I have 3 lamps plugged into various outlets on the switched side around the room, so when the switch is turned on, all 3 lamps light. One lamp is...
7
7

Recliner footrest
I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says the recliner was manufactured by a different company. The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself,...
4
4

Washing machine lint filters
I just got a new top load washing machine. My old one had a lint trap on top of the pedestal but the new one does not. The people at Lowes tell me that washing machines have not had lint traps for at...
6
6

Sparking Pumpkins
I want to have two pumpkins kissing each other, and want sparks jumping between them. I have an old neon light transformer thats rated around 25,000 volts. If I connect one wire (from this...
7
7

Westpointe heater
I have a Westpointe WCH4127 space heater. I can't find any website for Westpointe, just companies that sell the products. I'm looking for the manual for this unit. Can't find it on-line. Any...
1
1

Acetone Ate My Hotel Card Key
In the spirit of all of the "Ethanol Ate My whatever" posts, I thought I'd share this story: A friend told me that I should keep my hotel card keys becasue they are great for spreading Bondo and...

Can this yard furniture be saved?
Here are pix of (I think) wrought iron yard furniture that I have allowed to deteriorate for years. Rusted to hell. I really like the furniture, esp. the table has a lovely glass top that I put in. So...
19
19

Load center replacement
I'm thinking mabee it's time to replace my old fuse panel with a breaker panel. Problem is, the new panels are not even a close match to the old panel. The existing panel is surface mounted with the...
122
122

OT: Bought some fuse
At the hobby store. I've got a toilet tissue core covered with red construction paper on which I've printed "DANGER!" and "EXPLOSIVES". When the little tricksters come to the door, I'll say "Just a...
4
4

XL pipeline (was: OT Sharia law in action)
What's so gastly about the XL pipeline vs other pipelines that already criss-cross your country? You're a nation dependant on oil and your way of life would grind to a halt if you don't get enough of...

Can dishwasher film be overcome or do I need a new one?
I live in a coastal community on a North Carolina barrier island in a house I inherited from my father. I've noticed a film on the silverware I've run through the dishwasher that is difficult to...
28
28

Bulb Life ?
Hi, For the last few weeks, our overhead kitchen light seems to be eating bulbs. Fixture is the normal typical overhead type with a globe. Uses two 60 W incandescent bulbs. A bulb, in either socket,...
8
8