Switched outlet bypass for lamp

My bedroom has half of every duplex outlet switched. I have 3 lamps plugged into various outlets on the switched side around the room, so when the switch is turned on, all 3 lamps light. One lamp is right next to my bed. I would, at times, like to turn it on ... usually when I'm in bed. I know how to build such a circuit, but I don't want to make something that might be available. All it would take is an SPDT non-shorting switch, 2 polarized line cords with plugs and a box to put it into. Oh ya, and a female outlet to plug the lamp into. Anyone see such an animal? Thanks.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I would just plug that lamp into the hot side.

Reply to
Metspitzer

or add a additional lamp for such applications

Reply to
bob haller

Besides this obvious solution, which was described above, if you are dead set with wanting to be able to turn this lamp on and off when in bed but also have it respond to the wall switch with the other switched outlets, the intelligent way to go about that has nothing to do with modifying the lamp in any way...

The real answer involves using a pair of wire mold boxes, a short piece of wire mold raceway painted to match the room color and a three-way switch to control whether the switched half of the outlet next to the bed is constant or controlled by the switched outlet feed...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

clap on, clap off

Reply to
Metspitzer

Quite a few companies sell "switched extension cords" for under $10. Here is one at Amazon for about $8.

Smarty

That would not allow the light to operate with the others controlled by the switch without an extra step... Also it would not allow for only the one lamp by the bed to be used when the others are switched off...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

They used to sell aimable wall-hung lights designed to hang over a headboard. Put a screw in a stud, and hang the lamp on that. That plus existing lamp would be the cheap painless solution. Pick one for general room lighting, and the other for in-bed reading, and plug into the appropriate outlets.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers