Protect Hedge from kids!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice next time they try?

Thanks!

Reply to
Simon

Phisherman

you have my curiosity up - why are the kids breaking the hedges? what age are these kids? do you know the parents? were they cutting through your yard and the hedges were planted to deter them?

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
Sterling

Is there any approved "kids safe" pesticide that can be used on those most destructive pests of all? Those awful feral rugrats are pretty much oblivious to anything that is non-toxic.

How about huge yellow cards covered with sticky goo?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I :) can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice :) next time they try? :) :) I'd be careful as to not to give someone in today's sue happy society a perceived reason to give you trouble. Jr's 3 year old hand me down instantly becomes top line clothing in need of replacement. Probably best to talk to the parents.

Reply to
Lar

In answer to your questions, I don't know the ages of the kids, or who their parents are (if they even know themselves!) It's happening when I'm not looking - I've noticed it particularly when the local schools let out in the afternoon!

I take the point about law suites etc. I think I'll just let nature take it's course - they will grow eventually!

Reply to
Simon

If they are your kids and they don't mind you, just wait until they are older.

Reply to
Travis

I know it won't look too great, but why not build some kind of chicken-wire cage around them until they are too big for children to easily destroy?

Reply to
Darren Garrison

If it's not too cold where you are, try a lawn sprinkle in the afternoon when the kids are heading home. I think the oscillation one works best, don't spray too far beyond the hedge, you just need a little spittle on the kids when they stand too close. Try not to wet too much of the sidewalk, you want to give people room to get by. Most pedestrians will walk around the wet spot. :)

Reply to
Pen