I'm looking for a workbench

Hi All,

I'm a stringed musical instrument maker & I'm moving into a studio @ Deptford Cockpit Arts. I'm looking for a solid, sturdy woodworking/joinery workbench. If anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one please let me know! I have a van and could collect from anywhere in or around London.

Thanks :) Jonathan

Reply to
lapin.lutherie

It's easy to make a bench. Get some cheap rough sawn timber from a woodyard (salvage etc). Then you can make it exactly how you want it. Construction technique is basic; no clever joints, just big screws. Make it real heavy and solid. Legs 3 x 3 cross members 4 x 1 boards 1½" x 8 or 10. When it's in position fix it to the floor.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Coach bolts are even better. Then you can adjust or move it if required. Make sure you have some diagonal braces to keep it stiff in shear in the two vertical planes (or you can screw sheet material, even hardboard, between the legs).

I wouldn't use sawn timber for the top; either planed, or one or two thicknesses of 18 mm ply. Shuttering ply for cheapness if you are doing rougher work. Some people use MDF but I wouldn't.

AGREED

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

I suggest only after asking the landlord. The OP is moving into accommodation where his presence may no longer be welcome if he screws up the floor.

Reply to
Robin

I made one from a pallet. The slatted top turned out to have a bunch of advantages. Pick a heavy pallet & add a vice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

... and depending on what you plan to do, a (thin) sacrificial top, or possibly several. One for paint, one for oil, etc.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes. I've made three and I now use rough timber for everything but have sheets of scrap ply, hardboard, etc, to make removable work surfaces.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

When I made mine, which is now at least 45 years old, my initial problem was that of having nothing to work on whilst making it. Back then I didn't even have a Workmate.

The solution was to keep it simple but robust, with coach bolted joints. On performance so far, it will certainly see me out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Mine are made from 2 pieces of 4 x 2 screwed together to form an L shape for the legs. 4 cross members of 4 x 2 screwed inside the L at the top & again at the bottom. 18mm ply top & shelf.

Reply to
TMH