Getting weeds out o0f a cactus garden?

DOes anyone have any bright ideas for getting weeds out of a catus garden? We just spent over $400 in March to have the whole thing dug out and re-done because a tree weas growing up in the middle of the garden.

Now we have weeds growing up.

If it matters, it's a prockly pear cactus garden, and I'm in Dallas, TX.

Babs

Reply to
David & Barbara Schmidt

What makes the weeds in your cactus garden any different that weeds in your veggie garden? They respond exactly the same to digging/pulling/careful poisoning. I never had any problems getting weeds out of my cactus garden in Las Vegas as long as I was careful to keep my body parts away from the nastier Opuntia (aka jumping) cacti.

Reply to
John McGaw

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

get a long handled but small hoe and slice the plants off at dirt level. get em before they seed. any "stirring up" of the dirt is going to bring more seeds to germinate. let the cut weeds lay there if you dont have a long handled pick up tool. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I use a really long needle-nosed pliers to pull weeds from my patch of prickly pear cactus. The biggest problems are maple keys helicoptering in, followed by Siberian elm seeds (which, thankfully, do not fall in large drifts in this part of the yard).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz