Asian pear tree --- fire bright?

Could somebody take a look at the the problem I have with my Asian pear tree I have on my backyard. The tree is about 3 yrs old. It sets small fruits at the moment but seeing this kind of problem is really scare me. If it is indeed the fire bright issue, how would I go about solving the problem? I live in Dallas, TX area.

Here are the three photos I took this morning:

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Reply to
JS

Here are the three photos I took this morning:

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Reply to
Steve Peek

Yep, looks like fire blight to me. The "cure" is to remove any and all affected branches/limbs, washing your cutting blade with alcohol between each cut so as to not spread the bad stuff. It can be pretty rough. We've about given up on apple trees because of it. Yeah, I know there are blight resistant varieties, but we were tired of apples trees anyway.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Here are the three photos I took this morning:

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Reply to
Robert Lewis

I concur with others that it looks like fire blight. There are many web sites that go into more details of how to control it. You could check out the following:

I know people who were able to save their pear trees with pruning.

I'm curious if this tree is on standard rootstock, or a dwarfing rootstock, and if so, which variety of rootstock. Some rootstocks are more susceptible to fire blight, than others.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren