Eliminate weeds in fescue

I have a great fescue lawn. However, in one spot of the lawn, I have 90% weeds and hardly any fescue. To prevent the weeds for expanding, I pulled everything, and dug deep into the roots. I didn't use any chemicals.

Now the weeds have grown back and I'll use chemicals if I have to. One person at the store suggested I use roundup, another a crab grass killer There's 2 blown up pictures. You'll notice on one of them how most of it is weed but the area turns into fescue. On the other, you can see the area I dug up and how everything is growing back now 3 weeks later.

I do have a lemon tree a few feet from this spot and do not want to ruin it. Below is the URL. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Me

Don't use roundup; it will kill the grass as well as the weeds. Pull up the weeds that you can, disturbing the soil as little as possible. Use a spray bottle of broadleaf weed killer (like 2,4-d) to spot treat the tougher weeds. Use an amine formulation rather than an ester to avoid drift. (Probably any weed killer formulated for homeowners will be amine.) And keep the grass mowed; weeds hate that.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to
Phisherman

No need. Scratch up the soil surface, removing the new seedlings (I see crabgrass, oxalis, Euphorbia (probably E. maculata). Scratch the surface every week or so, or mulch heavily. When the right time for seeding comes around (typically early September in northern states), scratch the area up one more time and spot seed with your lawngrass. Firm the seed into the soil, cover with a mulch, and keep it watered.

Weeds take over in bare soil. Keep the soil covered with something (crop or mulch) to prevent weed seed germination.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster