Re: Ground Ivy taking over my lawn

I'm a newbie. Two questions:

> > 1) Are there any NATURAL ways to rid my lawn of Ground Ivy and other > broadleaf weeds? We have babies and we don't want to use chemicals. >

Start pulling..hug a tree every now and then too. ;)

> 2) Are there any good web sites to obtain info about natural lawn care? > > Thanks!! > > Dave > :) >

I seen an ad for the weed popper once, it might of been by ronco.

Reply to
Moparholic

Ground ivy isn't hard to kill with any 3-way herbicide. The problem is killing the shit in beds or neighbors's yards. It will vine back.

We hit them every 6 to 8 weeks as needed.

Reply to
Moparholic

2-4D, dicamba, and mcpp for the most part, we only treat as needed.

The only prevention is the pre-e crabgrass control, and the fertilizer helps turf density..less room for weeds.

They make a decent product, liquid weed control works a lot better than the dry. If you continue to have vining weed problems such as ground ivy, try some liquid weed b gone from Ortho. It sticks to the weeds -much- better.

Some of those 'hard to kills' have a wax cuticle, so the weed and feed powder falls off.

Reply to
Moparholic

first of all here's a link for you..

worked for me was a combination attack. Broadleaf weed killer, bend over and pluck the stuff-comes up pretty easy.., mow a little higher to block out the sun.., fertilize and water the grass to make it strong, healthy and "take over" the creeping charlie,moneywort or ground ivy. I had quite an infestation earlier this year with about maybe 1or 2% remaining in my bermuda (memphis) lawn.

Dave K wrote:

Reply to
Carl e Roberts

Since you're concerned about chemicals, I would not use the Scotts fertilizer/weed killer which goes over the entire lawn. For a reasonable size lawn, you can use a 2 gal tank sprayer with a weed killer like Weed B Gone and just spot treat the weeds. Once you have a good lawn, it's hard for weeds to get established and occasional spot treatment is all you need. That will minimize the amount of herbicide.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Thanks, folks, for your insightful advice!

I think I'll try Weed B Gone on a dense patch of Ground Ivy and keep the baby away from that area. Then I'll see how effective it is and proceed from there...

Thanks again!

Dave :)

Reply to
Dave K