Pressure washer question, will it rip a weed in two?

I have weeds growing between my patio pavers (lots of them, as I have been away on vacation for a while). they are a bitch to pull out, roots are strong.

If I rent a gas powered pressure washer will that have enough cutting power to rip them out? The patio needs cleaning anyway. Would there be various nozzles that can rip a weed in two? I need to blow the accumulated dirt out from between the pavers to slow them down for the future too, pavers are butted tight making the weeds equally tight to yank. I've used hebicides but they are still aggressive weeds.

Reply to
RickH

Maybe not 'rip them out' - but it will certainly cut them off. [it will also cut off your finger if you can hold it still] I've gotten a nasty cut from a cheap $60 electric powerwasher.

Decent nozzles are adjustable. I got a lot of mileage out of my cheap $60 washer with a $45 nozzle.

I do mine once a season with a 'season long' herbicide. It kills the weeds existing, and prevents seeds from sprouting.

My 'season' might be shorter than yours- so YMMV.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yup, it will rips the tops out but won't extract the roots.

Yes, it's much easier to prevent the problem that to let the weeds get started.

Try a better/different weedkiller; maybe yours have developed resistance to whatever you've been using.

I spray my patio in the spring. In the summer, if one or two small weeds start to appear, I pull them while they're still seedlings and apply a little more spot weed killer around those areas.

It's not normally hard to control these things. Maybe there's a specific and hardy weed in your locality? Take a sample to a good garden center and they may be able to identify it and prescribe an appropriate treatment.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Yep, it'll cut them out and they'll grow right back. Heck, a fine nozzle on high pressure will etch the bricks.

I use one of those week torches off my grill propane tank. Easy and fast.

Have to repeat every month, maybe two.

The extended duration herbicides work pretty well too.

Using polymeric sand (not regular sand) puts an end to the problem; used it in my front paver patio and no weeds for 2 years now. Looks almost like mortar between the pavers, but it is flexible enough to handle some movement. But you need at least 1/8 inch between the pavers to work it in between.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

With the pressure and nozzle needed you will damage the paver and make it necessary to clean the pavers, you will blow out any sand inbetween the pavers , you will make a mess of the pavers and spray youself with junk as it bounces off the pavers. I use roundup and in a few weeks I burn them with a propane torch cain, its made for weeds, it holds a small tank and has the burner expended down about 3 ft so you stand and the burner head is at the weeds. Roundup and a burner torch make it fun. Most any hardware store has the propane weed burner. Renting a power washer, is a waste of money, they will grow right back. Roundup has a long term product that kills for a whole season. I use Roundup and weed burner around garden, trees, everywhere and retired my weed wacking days, plus burning things is fun.

Reply to
ransley

Buy a real spark-flint ignitor if you buy a weed torch, lighters are a pain.

Reply to
ransley