ID Cleveland Ohio garden weeds please

and what I can do to stop them?

Hi, in my little front garden against the front of the house, I planted alyssums, violas, and marigolds. The last week or so, the weeds you see with the roundish leaves have taken over very rapidly. When you go to pull them out, seems you get several lengths of the weed. Also in the lower left of the pic, some kind of grass growing right thru the alyssums, where removal is difficult, as the alyssums often come out also when you pull on the grass like plants, and the wispy thing that's laying on it's side also in the lower left and middle, I get a lot of those. At least the ones with the roundish leaves usually pull out fairly easily. Pic:

much.

Reply to
Danny Kewl

The predominant weed is purslane, which is edible and loaded with omega-3 fatty acids.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

rapidly.

Always easy to pull, and, as mentioned, edible.

The 'wispy thing' is crab grass.

Very careful weeding when the soil is dry (sandy) or moist (clay) will be needed to pull the grassy weeds out. You may have to use one hand to protect the alyssums while the other pulls the weed.

Mulching the flowers right after you transplant them should limit the amount of weeding you will need to do.

Or you might consider a weed preventer like Preen. Not that I would use it myself, but I did recently recommend it to someone who has physical limitations that make it difficult for her to keep after the annual weeds in her little dooryard garden.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks much Amos and Pat, for the ID of the plants, and info and suggestions on dealing with them, and also the edible aspects of the purslane, which I'll sample when more comes up which I'm sure it will. The ones I pulled went right into trash collection.

Reply to
Danny Kewl