Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

gradually getting there...
had a nice rain/thunder/lightning storm last night, made sure yesterday to have plenty of materials on-hand for projects i can do on a rainy day. it didn't rain today but was gloomy and threatening...
18
18

My first squash bug
Hi All, Wednesday, it was hot (~80F) and dry and lots of sunlight, so perfect for spraying my hordes of weeds with vinegar. I put six gallons down. Well, now, up from the depths of a weeds canopy...
7
7

Long Term Gardening
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. S he has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I pla nted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight...
8
8

So far so good
  Put all my tomato seedlings in the ground yesterday using the "posthole" method . Used  my post hole digger to make the holes , worked great . So far , they all look pretty good , nobody is layin'...
11
11

starting back up for the year
pulling off the last of the old bean vines from the fence. chopping up the wild grapevines so i can spread them on the surface of a garden (don't want to bury them until they've dried out for another...
13
13

trellis for beans
  I'll be planting some of the white greasy beans songbird sent me (as well as a bush variety), and am wondering about trellis requirements . I have a few feet of 6x6" welded concrete re-wire , will...
9
9

Warming mats and root development
  Is there a correlation ? I've put the mat back under a selection of the seedlings that seem to be lagging in that department . The ones that were on there are doing well ... of course the ones that...
2
2

Foiling Bugs and Bambi
  Well , for sure Bugs and maybe Bambi . Just finished redoing the fencing around the garden . I had to rework it to include the bee hives , I moved them to the far end of the garden since the wife...
16
16

Peat Pots
and Piss Poor Performance . I don't understand it , the same seed , soil , and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it...
17
17

A berry good plan ?
  We had a pretty nice strawberry patch until I let the grass get started . It soon overwhelmed the berries ... I considered using some black plastic as a weed/grass barrier , but was told that it...
1
1

Good time to seed radishes?
I'm in central Illinois and was wondering if now would be a good time to spread some radish seeds in the garden? It seems early but over the last couple of years I've tried them more toward late April...
1
1

Rabbit Raisins
  Free for hauling it off ! My neighbor raises rabbits , and he figures 3 wheelbarrows full of droppings/bedding is enough for his small garden . Looks like if I take all he hasn't used there's a 5x8...
10
10

Ping songbird
  Did the package arrive yet ?

Re-powering a tiller
Oh dear me dear me , the free tiller won't start ... again this year . Always been difficult and I'm tired of throwing money - and more importantly , time - at a Briggs that's at least 20 years old...
8
8

Spinach with berries? Hmmmmmm
Spinach with berries ??????? What do you guys think? Worth a black thumb trying out? (Chenopodium capitatum) An old-fashioned plant that dates back to 1600 in Europe. This curious plant produces...
5
5