Peat Pots

and Piss Poor Performance . I don't understand it , the same seed , soil
, and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little
strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it and bury it
without disturbing the roots too much . But the whole thing doesn't work
unless the seedlings actually grow . I planted 4 kinds of peppers in
these , multiple seeds per cell because I know they're old and the germ
rate is likely low - did the same with some other peppers and the
tomatoes in the plastic cells . The peat pots had exactly 2 seeds
germinate of probably 64 or more seeds . The plastic were over-run , and
in fact all the seedlings now in peat were germinated in plastic . Even
allowing for the stress of being moved , they just ain't gettin' it .
They have nice color , look good , just aren't growing as fast . I'm
wondering if I need some supplemental N or something - maybe a light
shot of Miracle Grow , since it's high in N at 24/8/16 . I just don't
know what to do at this point , but I'd like to save these seedlings .
They're extras to me , but I planned to give them to a neighbor (the one
with the rabbits) . He works for a living and doesn't have the time I do
to devote to this stuff .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
almost all seed starting materials should be pretty low in actual nutrients (to avoid fungal/rot issues) thus for those plants with smaller seeds you will need to supplement nutrients earlier to keep them going until they are planted out.
other than not having the space for doing starts i also figured out the costs involved and am happy with the local greenhouse doing them for us.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
I've never got satisfactory performance from peat or moss pots.and remove them completely from purchased plants. Been a long time since I bought-in plants, though. My favorite nursery containers are inexpensive ±2" terra cotta pots. The pots decay very slowly, if kept wet, but last for years with seasonal use and may easily be sterilized. Second fave is store-brand uncoated paper cups from the supermarket. The paper cups compost fairly quickly, if kept wet, but mine go into the regular compost place and not directly into the garden.
Reply to
derald
Same here. When I turn over my ground pots every spring, the peat pot is still in tact.
Sometimes the root grow out the bottom of the peat pots, so I delicately try to rip the bottoms out before planting and I "seem" to get good results. The rest of the pot stays in tact.
There are some pots out there made up of Cow Skat and those I have never had an issue with. I believe Bonnie uses them.
Cow poop! Now 1001 uses for it!
Reply to
  I watered lightly with a weak Miracle Grow solution , just the stuff in peat . We'll see what happens .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
My husband has set up an aquaponics systems in our spare room, and he's growing all sorts of veggies with it. He is going to move most of the outside and grow the veggies in a bucket with water! Some of his plants he decided to grow in pots, though. He uses those peat pots with some potting perlite/vermiculite to grow some miniature tomato plants inside, and he also has onions, cilantro, and a couple other herbs he is growing in water, too. One thing he is growing that is doing great is celery! He can grow that indoors all year round if he wants to.
Some of those mini tomatoes are already blooming and they don't get taller than 12-18 inches, so he never had to even plant them in dirt or put them outside in buckets with water. It's mostly an experiment, but it's turning out fairly well, so far.
Our raised bed garden outside is in need of repairs, so I had to completely disassemble one 4'x 8' raised bed, remove all the screws and nails and stack the wood. Then I shoved out all of the dirt and put it into 2 other nearby beds so we can rebuild the broken beds. We've got part of the old bed next to it shored up and we're going to marry the new beds to the remaining old beds. We both ran out of gas yesterday right about the time we got our first spring rainfall. Today, it turned cold again, so we won't get back out there again until it warms up a little bit more.
Reply to
Muggles
I've got about a third of the garden left to amend and till . I have time though , I won't be setting anything out for around a month . Strawberries are doing OK , all but 2 (of 29) are showing new growth . I must be doing something right , we had some very heavy rain last night and there was no erosion out in the garden . Apparently all that decomposing straw I've been tilling in has helped ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs
This is off the veggie topic, but I planted some tulip and daffodil bulbs last fall and I have blooms, now! I'm so excited. LOL
Reply to
Muggles
  We've had daffodils blooming for a couple of weeks now , we have a variety of white/yellow/orange blossoms  . The tulips I planted came up the next spring , bloomed , and disappeared . Never did figger it out for sure but I suspect rodents ate 'em .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
I was having the same trouble my last season of growing starts & asked an o ldtimer at the garden shop about it. He told me there is something in the p eat that inhibits pepper germination. I restarted with my own compost and g arden soil with seeds from the same batch. This time I had nearly 100% germ ination. I would never use peat in a seed starting mix again.
Reply to
peek0703
  And I won't either ... I'm awaiting delivery (at our local co-op) of some Anaheim seedlings , I have wanted to grow these for several years with lousy results - last year I finally got some to germinate , but they did poorly in the garden . This year I got soil tests and am amending the soil as needed . So far the results have been good , what I have planted so far is all doing well .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
Count me among those old timers who find peat not to be a suitable soil additive. I start seeds in unwaxed paper cups or, increasingly, in 2" terra cotta pots. The soil come directly from the garden beds. The soil mix in the various containers is very nearly the same as in the beds. Only a few of the container plants get something akin to miracle gro and those plants are not for eating.
Reply to
derald
  I do use potting soil , it's more convenient plus until recently the garden soil has been lacking . Might still be , but I'm taking steps to improve it . Just today I planted 180 cells in (foam) egg cartons with assorted flowers . I'm hoping to establish self-renewing/perennial patches of flowers that will have flowers all summer for the bees . From about mid-June on there's actually very little for them to forage on here .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
In article ,
I'm a fan of bee-balm, in various colors (red will also make happy hummingbirds, but the bees will get theirs as well) among others. And don't overlook clover and alfalfa (but if your soil tends to acid, alfalfa can be difficult, or at least require a lot of lime to be happy.)
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Our soil here is acid , had to lime the north end of the garden this year . Bee Balm is one of the flowers I've planted , also penstemon , 2 kinds of poppies , liatris , lavender , alyssum , and borage . Marigolds too , but I don't think the bees are attracted to them . *I* think they're pretty . I did a lot of research to find plants that have both extended bloom times and that attract bees and hummers - and that will grow in this area . I've sown all of these outdoors with no discernible effect - either they didn't come up , something ate the seeds , or ate the tender new shoots .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
I have a barrel I grow cherry tomatoes in. Every year a weed decides it is a nice place to grow and it is. Not an issue because the solid is really loose easy to pull weeds out of.
Well this years foolish weed, when I pulled him out, up comes the weed and an intact peat pot.
Chuckle
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads