Growing chilli peppers

Anybody on here like to grow chilli peppers? I've been growing them for the past few years now and you get surprisingly good results here in the UK. This growing season started off a bit iffy with the weather, but the sun has been shining over the past few weeks and my Cayenne chilli plants have some nice big peppers growing on them now! Can't wait to eat them later in the summer. I'd be interested in hearing if others enjoy growing them also. If you are interested in chillies and hot and spicy food, I've just started a website dedicated to chillies and spicy food. I'm also selling chilli seeds through the site includingg the second hottest variety in the world. I will be opening up a discussion forum on the site as well so that people can share their growing tips and spicy recipes!

Reply to
chilli-heads.com

Chilli seeds are commonly available in the US, but they are hard to grow. It's much better to start with seedlings started in a local nursery. I've grown habeneros, cayenne, jalapenos, Hungarian wax peppers from nurery stock. The growing season is quite long, resulting in a "success disasater" in early September. I pickle and dry the peppers but fresh is always betters.

Reply to
Stubby

Where abouts in the U.S are you? As most of the US is further south than the UK, you get much better weather for growing them than we do. Over here it's quite hard to get seedlings at nurseries as growing chillies here is nowhere near as common an activity. I've also got some Bolivian Rainbow chilli plants growing this year which are in flower at the moment and are just starting to grow a few purple colour peppers!

Reply to
chilli-heads.com

We live NW of Boston, MA. Zone 5/6. The weather here is similar to London, but I believe London is a bit warmer. As I recall there are palm trees in Hyde Park but they would not survive here.

Reply to
Stubby

At the garden center in the Menards parking lot (not affiliated with Menard), I bought 3 Chef Jeff's, the worlds hottest pepper. It's supposed to be twice as hot a habenaro. I don't know how they can make that claim but they do.

I'm growing 4 chilis, 4 habenaros, 1 cayenne, 1 overwintered chili, and those 3 Chef Jeffs. The ones in full sunrise to sunset sun are having problems. The ones who have to fight for sun or realize that if they don't grow they will lose sun are doing really well.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

What do you mean by "hard to grow"? Mine sprouted in about 8 days, indoors, with 6 packs on a layer of pebbles, and heating cables underneath. They were a day behind the bell pepper seedlings. All from Burpee.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My experience is that yes, the seeds sprout easily, but the plants stall in their development when they are moved outside. This takes a few weeks away from the growing season.

Reply to
Stubby

Is there any way you can more closely reproduce the conditions established by the local nursery? Maybe not a heated greenhouse, but how about a well made cold frame? They are useful for plenty of other things after the early season seedlings have been transplanted.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I suspect the low humidity in the house is the problem. But over the many years I have tried many things. The bottom line is the easiest, most reliable way to get peppers is to buy from a local guy that has never failed me.

Reply to
Stubby