Re-powering a tiller

Oh dear me dear me , the free tiller won't start ... again this year .
Always been difficult and I'm tired of throwing money - and more
importantly , time - at a Briggs that's at least 20 years old and
finicky . So I get on eBay , and there's a guy selling 6 hp Honda "OHC"
motors for around a hundred bucks . Most likely it's an OHV motor , but
still it's probably twice what that B&S put out when new . The reviews I
saw all said "like brand new" , these are supposed to be from power
washers that had bad pumps and all have just a few hours so I bought one
. We'll see on Monday , it's supposed to be coming on the FedEx truck .
The rest of this unit is in pretty good shape , the gearbox at the
bottom end runs cool and turns smooth , the only real wear item is the
drive belt - it uses a v-belt for drive from the motor to the shaft down
to the foot . Gotta get 'er fixed , the season is fast approaching when
I'll need it . Just got back the results of soil tests , and got some
amendments to make to the soil .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
  Me too ! Tracking says to expect delivery tomorrow , by Saturday afternoon I'll know . The original was 3.5 Hp , this one's 6 so I doubt I'll be stalling it .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
Motor came today , we be tillin' . This is a fixed-speed motor , which I can change easily . And it's like brand new . Bolted it on , added oil and gas , started on the 3rd pull . I need to see if I can find that other pair of tines (got 2 each side now , as stock) , I'm betting this motor will pull the load . More power , ar ar ar .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
It's for sure a OHV engine but Honda does offer residential and commercial SOHC engines intended for pressure washers and the like so the seller's description may be correct.
Reply to
derald
  It turns out he is in fact correct . I had no idea the technology had trickled down to lawn mowers . Actually this motor came from a pressure washer that had a bad pressure pump . Looks like new , except that you can tell some stickers have been peeled off .      Bet  a quarter I've got the only single overhead cam tiller in The Holler ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs
It is always good to be proven wrong on a positive note. All you need to do now is organise a tractor pull but limit the entry to tillers.
Mike
Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub
  Would the tiller attachment my neighbor has for his tractor qualify ? Of course the tractor is a diesel and 4WD ... I don't think my Rusty the Tractor would do well in a pull , it spins out just  moving dirt - well , actually the clay/gravel/silt mixture I dug out of the hole for the cellar . And the tiller , well it's one of the old fashioned front tine units , not even powered wheels . This unit was given to me several years ago , guy wasn't even sure it ran . I've been fiddling and fighting with it ever since to keep it running enough to dig up my little (1,000 sf) garden every spring . Well , now it runs well I may just break ground for some more stuff .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Site Timeline Threads