Re-powering a tiller

Oh dear me dear me , the free tiller won't start ... again this year . Always been difficult and I'm tired of throwing money - and more importantly , time - at a Briggs that's at least 20 years old and finicky . So I get on eBay , and there's a guy selling 6 hp Honda "OHC" motors for around a hundred bucks . Most likely it's an OHV motor , but still it's probably twice what that B&S put out when new . The reviews I saw all said "like brand new" , these are supposed to be from power washers that had bad pumps and all have just a few hours so I bought one . We'll see on Monday , it's supposed to be coming on the FedEx truck . The rest of this unit is in pretty good shape , the gearbox at the bottom end runs cool and turns smooth , the only real wear item is the drive belt - it uses a v-belt for drive from the motor to the shaft down to the foot . Gotta get 'er fixed , the season is fast approaching when I'll need it . Just got back the results of soil tests , and got some amendments to make to the soil .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
Terry Coombs wrote:

good luck, i hope it all meshes well. :)
songbird
On 3/1/2018 5:29 PM, songbird wrote:

  Me too ! Tracking says to expect delivery tomorrow , by Saturday afternoon I'll know . The original was 3.5 Hp , this one's 6 so I doubt I'll be stalling it .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
On 2/28/2018 10:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Motor came today , we be tillin' . This is a fixed-speed motor , which I can change easily . And it's like brand new . Bolted it on , added oil and gas , started on the 3rd pull . I need to see if I can find that other pair of tines (got 2 each side now , as stock) , I'm betting this motor will pull the load . More power , ar ar ar .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

    It's for sure a OHV engine but Honda does offer residential and commercial SOHC engines intended for pressure washers and the like so the seller's description may be correct.
--
Derald
Peninsular FL, USA
On 3/2/2018 9:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

  It turns out he is in fact correct . I had no idea the technology had trickled down to lawn mowers . Actually this motor came from a pressure washer that had a bad pressure pump . Looks like new , except that you can tell some stickers have been peeled off .      Bet  a quarter I've got the only single overhead cam tiller in The Holler ...
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

It is always good to be proven wrong on a positive note. All you need to do now is organise a tractor pull but limit the entry to tillers.
Mike
On 3/4/2018 2:23 AM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

  Would the tiller attachment my neighbor has for his tractor qualify ? Of course the tractor is a diesel and 4WD ... I don't think my Rusty the Tractor would do well in a pull , it spins out just  moving dirt - well , actually the clay/gravel/silt mixture I dug out of the hole for the cellar . And the tiller , well it's one of the old fashioned front tine units , not even powered wheels . This unit was given to me several years ago , guy wasn't even sure it ran . I've been fiddling and fighting with it ever since to keep it running enough to dig up my little (1,000 sf) garden every spring . Well , now it runs well I may just break ground for some more stuff .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Gardens are like boats: Never big enough!
http://www.avg.com