garlic

today i started to get the garlic for next
summer harvest planted. i may be a little
early, but i'm hoping it won't make that
much difference.
based upon results from this last garlic
season i selected out 200 large cloves and
most will be planted in similar soil to what
i had the best results.
no clay no more. the quality was ok, the
size was somewhat smaller (the largest bulbs
were about 3/4 the size if the non-clay
plantings), but the work to get them out of
the ground is too much and depends upon the
weather more than i'd like. we were stuck
on garlic harvesting for a few days until some
rain came along. i'd tried to harvest without
the rain but after a few clumps it was not
something i'd have been able to keep doing
without a jackhammer or some other major
source of ground breaking. which would have
destroyed the patch it was planted in.
also in the clay the garlic had either
birdsfoot trefoil or alfalfa as a cover. i
think the net result was a wash. the less
sunlight and competition for water was
probably offet by there being more nitrogen
in the soil. i could not tell exactly for
sure as i didn't weigh or measure nor could
i really control for moisture. so while the
garlic grown in the clay with the cover crops
would be sustainable, it would take some
kind of reworking to get more organic material
on a regular basis down deep enough in the
clay so that you could get the bulbs harvested
without resorting to dynomite, pick axes or
waiting for rain to soften up the ground a bit.
in contrast the clay in the sandy loam were
mostly harvested by tugging them out of the
ground with one hand. only a few needed much
more than that and it was done all with a small
hand trowel (instead of stomping on a shovel
with both feet after hopping up into the air
and that was only going about 1" into the clay
when it was dry).
guess where those 200 cloves are going? :)
i'm about halfway done planting the garlic and
then when the garlic is in i'll put peas/peapods
over them as a cover crop for the fall/winter.
before planting i weighed the cloves i planted so
that i can get a resulting weight difference.
about 2lbs of garlic. unfortunately i have yet
to find a scale for more accurate weighing...
the fun continues. ;)
songbird
Reply to
songbird
My first garlic crop was from Gilroy garlic at Costco. It did fine and I kept some of the larger cloves and planted them. Have continued that for several years now and I get a good crop each year. I guess by now the stuff is acclimated to my climate.
Reply to
The Cook
In article ,
Got a farmers market? Grown in Florida would be better for you, eh? Watch out for the "farmer's market" vendors that don't actually grow what they sell, of course.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Do a search for "cajun" garlic. IIRC, there are varieties that do well on the gulf coast and don't need a cold winter's sleep. ....And to think my cold climate, just this once, is a _good_ thing!
Reply to
Gary Woods
In article ,
But those are good to plant. At least one thing (ontario canada garlic will probably find it via web search) claims that planting them "rejuvenates" (nicely vague) the resulting bulbs/cloves for further generations. In any case, they will, depending on size (I have quite large ones from "Spanish Roja") either produce a new head, or a single giant clove (aka "round" & poplar with those who hate to peel when using large quantities of garlic) which if planted again rather than eaten will then make a head.
The ones that start tiny may take a few years of replanting - I'll be surprised if I don't get heads out of the 60 I'm saving for the garden next year (ie, to plant as soon as I have space cleared this year), since they are nearly the size of some of the cloves from the largest heads (some of the smaller bulbils have gone into the woods, after I noticed a garlic happily growing where I would never have thought to plant one - in the shady woods just off the deck, near where I clean the stuff.) I gave 197 medium ones to someone else to get a start on this variety of garlic.
My mutt garlic sometimes has no top bulbs, or gets pregnant in the stem (not like a scape), where the Spanish Roja (new to me this year) has a more classic scape arrangement. After doing a bit of research this spring I let them all go, since one of the few people who had actually done a side-by-side test got more garlic from the ones they left the scapes on, and other than people blindly repeating (without evidence) the "common knowledge" that cutting the scapes off "forced more energy into the bulb" most other things said it was a wash either way - i.e., did not matter. So, I'm only going to cut them off if I'm eating them, unless I feel all scientific one year and do my own randomized test.
Reply to
Ecnerwal

Site Timeline Threads