Frozen

The hard freeze two days ago did in the sweet peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes. We're letting them sit for the moment even though the temperatures are back in the high sixties, low seventies. I will miss the three or four year old pepper plant. It's still green but the leaves are crumpled so I think it will not come back.

The fall vegetables are doing well, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. are coming along well and we're harvesting several varieties of lettuce daily for our salads and sandwiches.

Nothing much else going in the gardens but am still waiting to prune the pear tree. Still lots of green leaves and my "pear book" says to prune just before the tree leafs out again. That will probably be mid January to early February due to our screwed up weather. I think I'm going to do some light pruning for the kumquat tree, the fig tree doesn't really need to be pruned as it grows openly.

Still to cold for my wishes but not much to go outside at this time of year. Could use some more rain but haven't been getting much, which may be a blessing as many drivers here don't do well in rain, sleet or snow. I do fairly well due to being stationed in New England when I was a sailor a hundred years ago or less.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

it may, i've had them drop all the leaves and then come back. if it doesn't hurt anything to leave it alone for a while... :)

yeah, just waiting for spring planting here. watching the deer eat the trees/shrubs that we don't have fenced. they've been visiting every night for a few weeks now. when spring comes along i'll have to take pictures. some of the trees we needed to trim, so of course they are not eating those yet, but the winter is not o'er yet...

this morning we were laughing because a yearling decided to come munch in the yard after the day had already started. it was very late for dinner. Ma was tapping on the patio door to scare it away and it was ignoring her. i finally got up and opened my patio door and yelled at it, it just looked at me like, "Oh yeah?" but did eventually run off.

a few times i've had the air rifle out with alloy ammo and it sounds impressive enough to scare them off, but they come back later. like i wrote to my brother, if it isn't fenced it's considered possible deer food.

we may have warmth (mid-40s) Monday. maybe a little snow Saturday night.

only reason i want to go out this time of the year is to get walks in and some shovelling when needed. it isn't too bad if you dress for it.

Peace and good fortune George (and others) i hope you all have a good holiday weekend!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I feel your pain. Our hard freeze was about six weeks ago.

Nothing more pathetic looking than a frozen zucchini plant.

It has been nearly four years since we've even had a winter T. The kale is still going strong and the old pepper plant seems to still be alive.

I will prune the pear tree in mid-January to get rid of the "rain" limbs that would shade the fruit come spring and the new blooms come in. We had a nice crop of pears this fall and also of kumquats so may do a wee bit of pruning on the kumquat tree. Just to open up the small tree to more sunlight and, I hope, more fruit. We had a nice fig crop this year too. It won't be long before we fertilize the fruit trees.

I'm going to pull out the blueberry plants in early spring and put in domestic dewberries as the blueberries are not getting enough sunshine where they are but dewberries like some shade.

George

Reply to
George Shirley