Pear tree dead ?

We have a small pear tree in the garden which was already in the garden when we moved in 10 years ago. the tree always produced small hard pears which we could not eat. this year, the trea only had few leaves and few flowers, they all died; now there is nothing on the tree and it looks dead. could it be dead or maybe missed a season due to the lack of water for 6 months in london? But few meters away from the pear tree we have a mini willlow / salix, it burgeoned and that is it. Had few leaves which died as well as the buds. it also looks dead -- not sure what is going on -- thank you

Reply to
sand

Sounds like an over dose of weed n' feed (did you recently treat your lawn) or an over spray of defolient... any signs of dead plants in neighbor's gardens?

Reply to
Brooklyn1

A pear that has no leaves in high summer is very ill or dead. Bend the smaller branches and twigs to see if they are still flexible, if they are stiff, brown and break easily they are dead. On thicker branches scrape away a small patch of bark to see if there is living tissue underneath. If the stems seem to be alive the leaf drop is possibly due to something environmental like excess fertiliser or overspray of weedkiller. Fungus is also a possibility. I see in the news it is very wet in Ole Blighty now, did the problem happen before or after it started raining? If before it is unlikely to be fungus. If the fungus was on the leaves the tree may recover in better conditions next year, if in the roots it is probably finished. If it seems to be alive do not feed it until it has leaves you may make it worse. If the lack of water was during the dormant season it is unlikely to have killed it.

David Hare-Scott