Pear tree maintenance advice needed

Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it? Also, in order for it to achieve a good crop of fruit this year, does anyone know of a suitable fertilizer I can apply to the surrounding soil? All useful advice on pear tree maintenance gratefully received.

Reply to
Mishy

Just leave it. Splits occur on pear tree trunks, and they sort themselves out.

If not cared for for some time, the tree will probably benefit from some winter pruning. Google will find you pruning advice, so I won't waste my time writing it up.

Reply to
echinosum

Reply to
jimmy