Pear-tree wood, not pear wood.

I had my pear tree 'adjusted' a few years ago and kept some of the thicker branches 3" - 4" in the hope to make some small mementoes out of the wood. Stuff like a small picture frame. Every spring that tree says hello in a big way, and most years bears lots of fruit, which one year was distilled into a pear brandy..well..that's another story. I like that tree. To make something out of that wood is purely for sentimental reasons, with the emphasis on mental. "This picture frame,

*sniff* is made from the tree under which the children played." *slobber*.

I left the bark on the stumps (stumpettes, as they're not very big) and after 3 years in a dry basement, I'm sure they're as dry as they're ever going to be. What can I expect? Firewood, toothpicks? Or is there a chance I might be able to use it?

You see, to do this, I'd need a band saw, eh? I mean..like really 'need' one?

I swear I googled, nothing straight-forward pops up. I know it's not the same as Swiss Pear. I saw a Tage Frid piece once in that kind of pear...stunning.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:design-F6A9C7.20010212052005 @nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net:

Hey, Rob! If you want a bandsaw, you don't have to justify it to US with your syrupy story. Remember, we're the guys helping each other justify spending $2k each on saws all of the time.

You're gonna have to clear this with the one who is joint owner of your checking account. Or figure out how you need it to build counter tops, and call it a business expense.

BTW, if it were me, I'd try to determine how to make this into something memorable that required a nice, new lathe. I'll bet this wood turns more easily than it saws.

Try googling something like 'fruitwood'.

Patriarch, whose wife would like him to complete a few projects for her sometime soon.

Reply to
Patriarch

I got some pear wood last summer. The tree was about 3 feet in diameter, with bark inclusions that went in up to 10 inches. I got some big chunks for bowl stock. The wood turned beautifully. It has a very dense even grain, which gives those nice long ribbons of shavings when you turn. The color was almost as white as holly. There was no evident sap wood. Your pieces are small, and would yield some nice wood for inlay, or highlight pieces, maybe even a few small boards. Laminate it with other woods, or whatever else you can think of. When you cut it up, let it sit for a month or two to adjust, then do final milling. robo hippy

Patriarch wrote:

> [...]

justify

something

Reply to
reedgray

evident

We've got two old pear trees that are dying back. I had hoped to get them out before everything turned green, but now it has to wait. Chainsaw's broken, anyway, but the trees are both over 16" in diameter about mid-trunk (well under breast height). I'm really looking forward to turning the wood into turning blocks and boards. I once got a couple of pieces of pear tree wood, and it was as you described. Should make some nice inlays for a couple turning projects I want to do.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I did the same thing with a yard pear tree a couple of years ago and here's the results of that bandsawing (the pieces in the foreground):

't figured out what to do with it yet .. AAMOF, after reading your post, I had to go out to the shop and dig it off a lower shelf that I haven't seen the back of in a year or more. So, to answer your question ... affirmative, you absolutely do _need_ a bandsaw. No further justification necessary.

Reply to
Swingman

wow.. very nice resawing job!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

you mean...what would one use that wood for? Small crafty stuff, I suppose. I guess I'll have to make up my mind to see if I like the grain with which I am going to end up. Your stuff certainly looks like it can be used nicely (WillR is drooling, I bet.)

I feel much better now. Here I thought I was giving in to the temptation of a new tool purchase. But now that I know that I *need* it.... Now the dilemma of sorting out the cast frame vs welded steel...

I'll need to plane that wood too....

Reply to
Robatoy

I needed a catalyst to hasten the purchase of a band saw. Thank you..

Reply to
Robatoy

I can't wait to see what the stuff looks like. You gave me some good suggestion. Thanks.

Reply to
Robatoy

as to what to do with the wood.. if there is enough of it in the "proper" size, they could be very nice drawer fronts or something like that.. I resawed some plum burl last year that I'm hoping with dry well enough to be a large jewelry box some day..